gnome-panel error in FC2

Post by siplus »

i have just got done installing fedora core 2 on my desktop computer

athlon 2600
512 ddr pc 2700 ram
160gb hda, 80gb hdb
geforce 4 ti 4200
Fedora Core 2, running Gnome 2.6

i always have two panels in gnome, and i have never had any trouble with them. not even on my laptop where i have the exact same programs and versions installed.

since it first booted up, all i did was install apt-get, install mozilla thunderbird, install opera, and i started making some small changes in some config files to make my video card work properly for games. i was doing what people told me to do with my laptop when i was trying to get Neverwinter Nights (a game) to run. the only difference was that was an ATI card, while on this desktop i have an Nvidia card.

the config changes:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf
from

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
EndSection
to

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "NVIDIA GeForce 4 (generic)"
        Option      "AGPMode" "4"
        Option      "AGPFastWrite" "True"
EndSection
i don't see how this could cause a problem with gnome-panel, but maybe i'm wrong...

the error:
when i first log in, it says something about "a panel is already running"
after everything was done loading, i opened a terminal:

[siplus@localhost siplus]$ gnome-panel

(gnome-panel:4271): Gtk-WARNING **: Ignoring the separator setting
[siplus@localhost siplus]$

well, i'll just restart the complete system and see if that solves anything... i know i'm thinking in the windows-mode, but i dunno what else to do. i'll delete this post if that solves it

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus »

hmm..it worked.

i'm sure i could have done something other than reboot the entire system, but restarting X didn't help at all (ctrl-alt-backspace). i'm just dumbfounded that i had to restart to get something working again. that's too much like windows to be linux!

delete this thread please, it is useless :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Are you using the kernel that came with FC2? If so the current nVidia drivers do not work with it. The new 2.6 kernel is compiled with 4k stacks and the nVidia drivers need more than that (kernels used to be compiled with 8k stacks). There are workarounds but I am just holding off on nVidia drivers until they actually come out with a new one.

I must say that I am rather disappointed in nVidia taking so long to resolve this issue. I can understand not having one right away but FC2 has been out for quite some time now and all the other distros will also soon be running kernels configured with 4k stacks so they need to get their act in gear.

Regarding your reboot, it should have been necessary. I have a feeling you didn't actually restart X. The easiest way to do this is to switch to run level 3 and then back to 5 which restart GDM (or KDM or whatever logon manager you are using). To do this, as root type "init 3" and then type "init 5".

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus »

well, as far as using Nvidia drivers on my desktop, which distro would be the easiest to use?

i have RH8, RH9, and Slackware 9.0 readily availible. i guess i'll just to a duel boot of FC2 and some other distro. i think i installed drivers a loong time ago in RH8 on the same system

i remember there being problems with redhat's custom kernels, so maybe slackware9 would be a good temporary duel-boot cantidate untill the new drivers come out?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

You can still run FC2, just have to either recompile your kernel or download one that is precompiled. Other than that I had great luck with FC1.