New nVIDIA drivers available

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
dishawjp
administrator
administrator

New nVIDIA drivers available

Post by dishawjp »

Hi All,

In case you folks, like me, have been waiting for the new nVIDIA drivers which support the 4k kernel stacks in the stock FC2 kernel, I just noticed that they're out and available at:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_disp ... -6106.html

Have fun!

Jim Dishaw

siplus
user
user

Post by siplus »

cool

it even looks like i won't have to manually compile my kernel! doing less work to install drivers seems like a bonus to me

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Well, it looked promising for about 5 minutes. I fired up Tux Racer and made one pass no problem, then loaded up Enemy Territory and spent about 2 minutes in it and the entire machine froze solid, could't even get to it from remote. Guess I have a little digging to do...

EDIT: Updated my kernel to the latest (2.6.6-1.435.2.3) and it seems to work somewhat better but it did lock X on the Quake 3 intro, had to CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE. It's a little disappointing that I haven't had an nVidia driver work without locking up in the last several releases. There were only one or two older driver versions that worked flawlessly for me, so I *know* they *can* build a good one, they just haven't had a winner in quite some time. Too bad we can't get a good graphics card vendor that will open their specifications and driver source. I have a feeling we would then get some pretty awesome drivers, not until then.