White Box Enterprise Linux

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

White Box Enterprise Linux

Post by Void Main » Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:11 pm

We run a lot of Red Hat Advanced Server at work. I had installed RHAS 3.0 on a quad processor HP Proliant server and installed a proprietary product on it with the vendor for a demo of their software. They just released the Linux version of this software and we were having trouble getting it to run even though the OS was one of the ones that it was supposed to be approved to run on. While trouble-shooting the problem with their engineers over the phone they divulged to me that they were actually running the software on RHES in their lab and not on RHAS. They (and I) didn't think this should be a problem but I told them that I would go ahead and install ES on this server along with AS in a dual boot just to eliminate that as the problem.

Not having a copy of ES I *thought* I could just download the ISOs from Red Hat like I was able to do for RHAS 3.0 Update 1. I figured since RHAS is a higher level product (cost/support wise) that I would also be able to download the ES ISOs. I found out quickly that wasn't going to happen without forking over some more money and I didn't really want to do that just for a demo. I remembered the White Box Enterprise Linux project and remembered that White Box Enterprise Linux *is* Red Hat Enterprise Linux, but without the Red Hat logos and without the cost (and support of course). No more than an hour later I had all 3 ISOs downloaded and burned (T3 and fast CD burner). :) 14 minutes and 56 seconds after getting the last CD burned I had a nearly full install of WBES installed on this particular server (fast server and fast CD drive).

It turns out that we actually figured out a resolution to the problem on the RHAS side before we even installed the product on the WBES side, but it turned out to be a worthy exercise as I got a chance to check out White Box Enterprise Linux. If you want a good solid enterprise class distro that will run all the proprietary stuff (Oracle or other products like we are trying out) but don't need the support then this White Hat Enterprise Linux might be for you. RHES, RHAS, and White Box Enterprise Linux 3.0 are all based off of Red Hat 9.

http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/