Ximian Red Carpet?

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Ximian Red Carpet?

Post by dishawjp » Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:45 am

Hi All,

I was poking around some Linux web sites and noticed some talk about Ximian desktop and Ximian Red Carpet. I read that the desktop is not currently compatible with RH 8, but that Red Carpet is.

Is this something worth looking at? I currently use up2date and apt-get to keep my system updated. The reason I'm asking is that being limited to a 56K connection, I don't want to download and install a lot of worthless stuff, but if it's worthwhile, I'd either order the CD's or give a download a shot.

Also, while I'm posting, I noticed that Gnome 2.2 is out. I know that Red Hat played a bit with the Gnome desktop a bit with Bluecurve. Would I be likely to create a lot of problems by trying to upgrade Gnome versions, or should I jsut leave well enough alone?

Thanks is advance for any thoughts.

Jim

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk » Tue Feb 11, 2003 4:51 pm

I installed Ximian desktop and Red Carpet on RH7.3. Red Carpet is not that bad, it's worth a shot--but if you're already using up2date and apt-get, I really don't see a reason for getting it (right now, it's updating all my packages that RH updated, but I could do it with up2date myself).

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:49 pm

Hi Quirk,

Thanks for the replay. I'm downloading Red Carpet now for my RH 6.2 box since up2date and this machine aren't too happy and the apt-get repositories for RH 6.2 are kind of limited. If it works out well, I'll give it a shot on my RH 8 box later.

Thanks for the input!

Jim

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:58 am

If anyone's interested, I did install Red Carpet on my RH 6.2 box last night. The install went perfectly. I now have a gui interface for keeping that machine up to date. Since I'm using a 56K connection, it'll take me a long time to get everything updated, but I plan on working on it a bit at a time.

I'm not sure yet if I'll install it on my RH 8 machine since Synaptic and up2date both work fine on it. Neither would work correctly on the 6.2 box.

Jim