Fedora Core 4

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:15 pm

insomnia wrote:Seems it's release is delayed cause of it's name...
Really? This is the first I've heard this. Got any links? According the the schdule it's due out in less than a week:

http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:35 pm

Void Main wrote:
insomnia wrote:Seems it's release is delayed cause of it's name...
Really? This is the first I've heard this. Got any links? According the the schdule it's due out in less than a week:

http://fedora.redhat.com/participate/schedule/
Since I take you don't speak any german, this is the only one I found:
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=56802

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:40 pm

Actually, ich spreche klein bissen auf Deutsch. I don't know if the spelling is right on that. :) I spent 3 years in Germany once upon a time and my great grandparents actually immigrated to the states when they were young. Coincidentally my daughter is going to Germany this coming Saturday. She'll be there for a month going to school with a German girl and doing a little traveling. She's going with several others from her German class from her high school.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:13 am

Whoop, there it is!

http://torrent.linux.duke.edu/

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:09 am

Cool, going to start downloading now (not via torrent though). Here's other download methods:

http://fedora.redhat.com/

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:08 am

I'm going with torrent, simply because the dvd version isn't available from the mirror.

For installation, though, how does this work? I have a ton of FC3 packages installed, are they going to be erased or worthless? Before, I've simply backed everything up and done a clean install. How would I go about doing an upgrade?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:09 am

Just finished downloading. Yes, the DVD version is on at least some of the mirrors. As far as upgrading if it's like any other version you just stick the CD in and do an "Upgrade". It upgrades all of your installed packages. I never back anything up when I upgrade and I have always had reasonably good success. Now, I'm not suggesting that you not backup your system before doing an upgrade as this is never a bad thing.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:16 am

Void Main wrote:I never back anything up when I upgrade and I have always had reasonably good success. Now, I'm not suggesting that you not backup your system before doing an upgrade as this is never a bad thing.
Since I have my home directory mounted onto a separate drive, backing up the main system drive isn't really that much work.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:40 pm

I have upgraded my laptop and everything seemed to go fine. Just have to deal with the usual things when upgrading (3rd party kernel modules, NTFS, madwifi, vmware, etc). I actually haven't gotten VMware 5 to work yet after the upgrade. I have to do a little research. One thing to note is that your kernel headers no longer come with the kernel RPM. You'll need to install the appropriate kernel-devel.xx.xx.xx RPM which contains the headers so you can compile your 3rd party modules.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:44 pm

Installed the any-any-update91 patch from Petr and all is well with VMware:
http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/vmware-any-an ... e91.tar.gz

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:16 pm

Just updated with apt. Everything went well.

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:34 pm

Does anyone know when the Dag and Fresrpms repos will be updated?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:19 am

I thought they already were? I did a dist-upgrade and got FC4 updates from them already on Monday (maybe it was Tuesday). They don't have the "os" repo set up though if that is what you are looking for (at least they didn't the last time I checked). That is probably a wise move so everyone doesn't just upgrade to FC4 via their repos, would be a huge bandwidth hog. I just created my own FC4 repo by downloading the DVD, mounting it on a loop, symbolic linking all the RPMS to my RPMS.os repo directory and then upgrade my machines from it. FreshRPMS does have the FC4 RPMS.updates repo.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:38 am

As of yesterday DAG was ready and FreshRPOMS wasn't but they're both up to speed now.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:40 am

Void Main wrote:I just created my own FC4 repo by downloading the DVD, mounting it on a loop, symbolic linking all the RPMS to my RPMS.os repo directory and then upgrade my machines from it. FreshRPMS does have the FC4 RPMS.updates repo.
That's what I did, I prefer it to upgrading with anaconda. Saves a DVDR and a reboot.