qalculate

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Linux Frank
administrator
administrator

qalculate

Post by Linux Frank »

# apt-get install qalculate

Holy cow batman. That is some calculator. I have never seen anything like it.

dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Post by dickinsd »

?

I did not even know apt-get was for fedora/redhat

I have just tried it in fedora nad its not having any of it,

is apt-get available in redhat, or have you had to download the apt-get package from somewhere?

Dave

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Yessiree. See here:
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/

Or long story short as root just :

Code: Select all

# rpm -Uvh http://dag.wieers.com/packages/apt/apt-0.5.15cnc6-4.1.fc3.rf.i386.rpm
# apt-get update
# apt-get install synaptic
# synaptic
I had created HOWTOs for this since RH8 (see my redhat tips section) but just do the above. In my tip I say to use the apt from FreshRPMS but get the one from Dag as it will set up great repos.

dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Post by dickinsd »

cool, is there a reason I would want to use it instead of up2date or yum?

Dave

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

The first thing I do when I install a system is remove up2date, rhn, and yum. I just prefer apt since I use it on both RH/FC and Debian systems. It's nice being able to use the same tool on all systems. I just refuse to use use something called "yum". :) Plus my systems update themselves nightly via apt:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/scr ... st-upgrade

dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Post by dickinsd »

thanx for the tip,

I will definately get synaptic, I think that is excellent on my Ubuntu machine

Dave

dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Post by dickinsd »

Not been lazy, I will look for my self, but you got a how to for getting gdesklets onto FC?

One of things I like synaptic for is because it made installing gdesklets a doddle on the ubuntu machine.

I am going to see if its as easy under FC3 using synaptic, as so far I have been unable to get the damn thing to work in FC3, infact I can't even configure it in FC3.

Dave

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

We also went through an exercise to set up apt/synaptic on SUSE somewhere on my forums here. So basically all Debian based systems, RH/Fedora, and SUSE all can have their software managed in a similar way. Makes life very easy and makes you feel comfortable regardless of what system you use. It really disappointed me when Fedora decided to use yum instead of apt when apt had been around so long and is better (IMO). Why reinvent the wheel? If it weren't for Matthias (FreshRPMS) and Dag I would have switched away from Red Hat and Fedora at about FC1, and I've been using Red Hat since Red Hat was born. I still might switch back to Debian on my desktops/laptop at some point but I'll wait and see how FC4 is.

dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Post by dickinsd »

Well thanks for the info

Synaptic did make installing gdesklets a DAMN site easier.

Unfortunately after all of that the sysinfo desklet I wanted did not work, I just kept getting little diamond shapes on the desktop, and for some reason my splash screen (when I log in to FC) just lingers around now, before it would go in 2 seconds or so.

As such I have just uninstalled gdesklets, but my splash screen is still pretty slow, so I have disabled that all together now.

Still, access to synaptec in FC is a good thing.

Cheerz

Dave

eckat
user
user

Post by eckat »

Looks nice, helpful feature I like is the exchange rate calculator. Too bad one cann't update the courses though a proxy server. At least I haven't found that option yet.