FC3 and Telstra ADSL

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Buzza24
scripter
scripter

FC3 and Telstra ADSL

Post by Buzza24 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:27 am

I don't know how many people here actually use Telstra but I thought I would try any way. I don't even really know if your in the same country.

Anyways...

Since I have an older modem, Telstra tells us that we need to put in a few setting in to windows and it works fine. But when trying to use linux on the net only recently I am having great difficulties keeping a stable connection. Sometimes I get on the net, sometimes not. It's emencly frustrating and I really want to be back to Linux but I can't cause of this issue.

Can anyone help?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:06 pm

Heh heh, well you certainly have left out a lot of details, starting with the first line about not being sure if any of us are in the same country as you. It would be hard to tell since you don't mention what country you are in. :) You also didn't mention any details about your current setup or what sort of information you have to enter in Windows to get it to work that may lead to clues as to what has to be done in Linux.

Having said that, taking a shot completely in the dark I found this on a Google search:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/adam88/

I have absolutely no clue if this is anything close to your situation but a shot in the dark as I said.

Buzza24
scripter
scripter

Post by Buzza24 » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:46 pm

well i live in Sydney Australia for starters.

the info telstra gave me wass DNS server address.
Different to those displayed on the website you posted but those didn't work either.
All i am wanting to do is use the internet through the on-board network card on my Intel Board. On the site that you posted tells you that you have to reconfigure the modem and setup the linux box as a server type thing. But I should be able to connect without doing that.

eckat
user
user

Post by eckat » Wed Feb 09, 2005 3:04 am

So you have problems with DNS lookups but the dialup works fine? Please give us a detailed description where and when you experience problems with your internet connection. Also the output of cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 maybe helpful.