Wow, Thinkpad R40 suspend/hibernate/etc all working!

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow, Thinkpad R40 suspend/hibernate/etc all working!

Post by Void Main » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:01 pm

Just got a new laptop on Friday. It's an IBM Thinkpad R40. I noticed I couldn't suspend or hibernate with stock FC3 + updates. After recompiling the stock 2.6.10-1.760_FC3 kernel with CONFIG_SOFTWARE_SUSPEND turned on and adding some crafty ACPI scripts and a couple of other little config changes I now have full control over this beast! The way I currently have it set up is:

- Close the lid or press FN+F3 it just turns off the LCD with the radeontool
- Press FN+F3 again or open the lid and it turns the LCD back on with radeontool
- Press FN+F4 and it does a suspend (memory only)
- Press FN+F12 and it does a suspend to disk. This doesn't even require a special partition, it just suspends to your swap partition. Very cool!

These keys can be programmed to do whatever you want by changing the ACPI configuration. In order to prevent a corrupt video display when returning from suspend to disk I had to comment out "dri" in the xorg.conf. I'm not if there might be a workaround for this or how much dri helped me anyway. I do know that OpenOffice uses it but it also works without it so I haven't noticed any penalty by commenting it out.

There is one thing that I haven't figured out yet. For some reason the battery does not charge while booted into Linux. It will use wall power but the the battery state shows charged even though it's not really charged. If I unplug from the wall and plug back in I see it go to "charging" for a few seconds and then it switched to "charged", even though it's only currently at 10% charged. This isn't a huge problem as I can charge at night with the system powered down but it's annoying. I haven't found anything in any google searches where anyone else has this problem. Maybe this is how this machine is *supposed* to work??

I might have to whip up a step by step HOWTO and provide all my ACPI scripts/confs if anyone is interested.

I have written a kernel compile HOWTO if you need it:
http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/redhat/fe ... build.html
Last edited by Void Main on Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:02 am

What OS did the laptop come with originally? I'm guessing that the battery recharge thing is something they built into the OS Power Management, in order to better connect the OS to Power Management. There's probably some IBM thing in Windows. If that's the case, you should complain.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:35 am

especially since ibm is such a big promoter of linux and all that rubbish

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:59 am

Turns out the guys where I work gave me the wrong power supply. I needed a 72 watt adapter and only got a 52 watt adapter. It charges while in operation just fine now. :)

dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Post by dickinsd » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:59 pm

I might have to whip up a step by step HOWTO and provide all my ACPI scripts/confs if anyone is interested.
Yeah I wouldn't mind seeing that if you got the time.

I have a HP laptop, does the job just fine, but the battery monitor does not update, and the suspend does not work.

Not sure what is involved in getting it to work, have not really missed it yet though - to be honest.

I know when I used to use this machine for XP, using the suspend mode meant that I had the use of my machine in maybe 1/2 the time it took Windows to boot. FC on my laptop is a fair bit slower to boot again, the ability to open the lid, hit the power button, or an FN combi and get a fully working system, at the point I left it in half the time it takes to do a boot at the minute would be a nice thing indeed.

Dave
PS: Only if ya got some free time though, as I have managed to live without it for about 5 months now...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:07 pm

I guess the first question would be does your machine have ACPI support? This can be done with either APM or ACPI support but I am using ACPI. Check to see if you have anything under "/proc/acpi" directory. Do you have a file called "sleep"? What's in it?

Code: Select all

$ cat /proc/acpi/sleep
If yours just shows a line "S0 S3 S4 S5" then I'm guessing you can at least make your system attempt to suspend to RAM and suspend to DISK (assuming you have support built in to your kernel for it. Suspend to disk is not currently compiled in on default Fedora kernels but suspend to RAM should work with the default). To make your system suspend all you really have to do is:

# echo -n 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
The above signals your machine to suspend to RAM. Use "4" instead of "3" to suspend to disk. Now, before you do this there are some things you might have to do before suspending, like stop unsuspendable processes, update your system clock etc. Likewise there are some things that need to be done after coming out of suspend mode like syncing the system clock to the hardware clock, starting those processes back up that you stopped before going into a suspend (I found MySQL is not suspendable and needs to be stopped before suspending).

You should have no problem suspending to RAM, suspending to disk is a little trickier and there are a few things you should know before doing it (like how to start your system if something goes wrong and it gets into a loop trying to unsuspend when starting your system).

Now, those things I mention that should be done prior to and after a suspend can easily be added to a script (I will show you my scripts at the end of this). You also don't want to have to manually run this script but you want to be able to just press your suspend button and have it automatically execute your script. This is what "acpid" is for. On Fedora systems there is a service called "acpid" (oddly enough). On Fedora systems this daemon logs to /var/log/acpid. Check this log for ACPI events (including special FN key presses).

If your special FN key combos show up in the acpid log then you can create configuration files for those keys and tell them what script to execute. Here is what I have under /etc/acpi:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/configs/acpi/

There are two directories under /etc/acpi, "actions" and "events". Under the "events" directory is where you place your function key config files. A very simple one on mine is "lid.conf". The name of the file is not significant (other than for me to remember what I created it for). This is the configuration file for what I want to happen when I close the lid on my laptop. Notice the first line:

event=button/lid.*
This correlates to the event you will see in your /var/log/acpid file. It will match an event that starts with "button/lid" (the ".*" means any text can follow it (it's a regular expression)). I came up with this because when I close my lid I get this in my acpid log file:

[Tue Feb 15 19:25:30 2005] received event "button/lid LID 00000080 00000002"
The "event" is everything in quotes so "button/lid.*" would match that event. Ok, now that we have caught the event we need to do something. That's the second line in the "lid.conf". In my case I want it to execute the "lid.sh":

action=/etc/acpi/actions/lid.sh
My lid.sh:

#!/bin/sh
# Just turn off LCD to save a little power
if radeontool light | grep -q "looks off"; then radeontool light on; else radeontool light off; fi
In my case I don't want it to suspend when I close the lid, I just want it to turn off the display. You might not need this one because normally laptops turn their displays off when you close the lid already. Mine actually shuts off the display too but not completely power it off so I use a command called "radeontool" to do this.

This is a little different than what happens when you suspend though because the script executes completely to the end when I close the lid. When you suspend your suspend script executes up to the point where you "echo -n 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep" and executes the rest of the script when you wake it up. So, to suspend to RAM (FN+F4 on my system) I have a configuration file that looks like this:

FNF4.conf

# With IBM Hotkeys enabled FN+F4
event=ibm/hotkey HKEY 00000080 00001004

action=/etc/acpi/actions/sleep.sh
The above event shows up in my log when I press "FN+F4". When I press "FN+F5" the exact same event is genereated except there is a "5" at the end instead of a "4". So I press FN+F4 and acpid executes my "sleep.sh". Hopefully it's fairly self explanitory:

#!/bin/sh
radeontool light off
# Stop mysqld if it is running because you can't suspend it
pgrep mysqld > /tmp/mysqld.dat && /sbin/service mysqld stop
# Stop VMware if running
pgrep vmware > /tmp/vmware.dat && /sbin/service vmware stop

if lsmod | grep '^usbhid' >/dev/null ; then
    /sbin/modprobe -r -s usbhid
fi

if lsmod | grep '^uhci_hcd' >/dev/null ; then
    /sbin/modprobe -r -s uhci_hcd
fi

if lsmod | grep '^ehci_hcd' >/dev/null ; then
    /sbin/modprobe -r -s ehci_hcd
fi

# Stop network
/sbin/service network stop

logger "Fn+F4 Suspending to RAM"

sync

hwclock --systohc
# Go to powersave (suspend to RAM)
echo -n 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep
# We're back!
hwclock --hctosys

# Start network
/sbin/service network start

if !(lsmod | grep '^ehci_hcd') >/dev/null ; then
    /sbin/modprobe -s ehci_hcd
fi
if !(lsmod | grep '^uhci_hcd') >/dev/null ; then
    /sbin/modprobe -s uhci_hcd
fi
if !(lsmod | grep '^usbhid')   >/dev/null ; then
    /sbin/modprobe -s usbhid
fi

if [ -s /tmp/mysqld.dat ]; then
   /sbin/service mysqld start
fi
if [ -s /tmp/vmware.dat ]; then
   /sbin/service vmware start
fi

logger "Resuming from Fn+F4 Suspending to RAM"
radeontool light on
This script might just work for you (take out the radeontool if you don't have a radeon video card). You can tweak things as necessary in this script if you find other things that prevent suspending.

I think my suspend to disk script is identical except I use the "4" instead of "3" as mentioned before. In order to suspend to disk you need to have that capability compiled into the kernel as I mentioned. If you do then it will use your SWAP partition to write it's suspend data to and then power off. When you turn the power back on it loads itself from that info.

I currently have a problem where I can't use "dri" (direct rendering) with Xorg and also have the ability to come back out of a suspend without corrupting my video. This is not acceptable to me so I just stick with the suspend to RAM or shut down completely. I have seen people talk about this problem and I believe I can patch Xorg so it will suspend with dri loaded but it's not worth the effort for me. I figure they'll eventually get it right.

So as you can see by my "events" directory I am turning off the display by either closing the lid or pressing FN+F3, suspending to RAM using FN+F4, suspending to disk using FN+F12, shuts down cleanly with the power button. This is a little bit IBM specific because I turned on extra functionality using the "ibm_acpi" kernel module rather than the normal acpi kernel module. This gives me a directory full of IBM specific items called /proc/acpi/ibm. To turn on the extra IBM function keys I added this to the end of my /etc/rc.d/rc.local startup script:

# Turn on thinkpad function keys
echo enable > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
# Enable all FN keys (F3,F4,F5,F7,F8,F9,F12)
echo 0xffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
Also note that my FN+F4 event will probably show up differently than yours. What you will have when you press your sleep button is an event that looks something like this in your acpid log:

[Sat Feb 12 15:14:45 2005] received event "button/sleep SLPB 00000080 00000001"
In fact that's exactly what I get when I don't enable the extended IBM keys in my rc.local. So basically press the keys and see what shows up in your log. Use that for your "event". You'll see a "sleepbutton.conf" file in my events directory that I was using prior to turning on the extended IBM keys.

Hopefully this will get you going. You'll find lots of other events that you might want to get creative with like what to do when your power cable is plugged in or unplugged, when your processor changes stepping, etc.. I may have been a little verbose but I figure I can just clean this post up a little and turn it into a HOWTO without a lot of changes. Will see if you have any luck following it.

You might look around under your acpi directory and find other cool files. You won't have this file but I have one called /proc/acpi/ibm/light. My laptop has a little nightlight built in to the top of the LCD that can be turned on with a function key. Well, I thought it would be cool if I could just click on an icon on my panel right under the light to turn it on and off (since the light won't be on finding the key to turn it on might be difficult). Anyway, catting the "light" file reveals this:

commands:       on, off
It's nice enough to tell us what options we have so I notice that:

# echo on > /proc/acpi/ibm/light
turns the light on and amazingly enough this turns it off:

# echo off > /proc/acpi/ibm/light
Now you have to be root to write to this file so I had to figure out how to be able to turn it off and on without being root. There are a couple of ways this could have been done. One is with the "sudo" command but I decided to write a little C program and make it SUID root. Here's the C program:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/source/light.c

Good luck!

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:09 pm

dickinsd wrote: I have a HP laptop, does the job just fine, but the battery monitor does not update, and the suspend does not work..
come to think of it, this is me too, my compaq M300 (yes, an HP laptop!) doesn't work in the battery monitor department, nor does it suspend, neither are a problem, but i'd like to get the battery monitor going if i can.

It's definitely an acpi thing, since i have had various versions of linux on there, and the laptop battery monitor works by default on all the ones i tried except slack and xandros
i've got xandros on there now, and it's staying if i can help it, but i am thinking that it doesn't have acpi on. and i am thinking i will need to recompile the kernel to get it to work. so i might not be leaping in there right this minute.

dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Post by dickinsd » Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:57 am

I have finally decided to try and get my laptop to suspend, as it has never worked since I installed FC2 perhaps 5 months ago.
I have since installed FC2 a couple more times and am now using FC3, it has never worked once.

I can suspend my laptop with the command

echo -n 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
Thanks to Void Main for that command. :D

I just don't know how to get back from suspend?

My laptop is a HP Pavilion ze5604ea (just in case anyone has this machine working?)

When I issue the command, my Laptop powers down pretty damned fast, and my power LED goes from a solid light to a flashing light. (which is what it did under XP)

Under XP I had 2 options, I could press the power button (If the lid was open) OR I could open the lid, in either case the latop would bring itself out of standby and return to the point I was working at.

With Fedora, I press the power button (OR open the lid) in both cases the laptop appears to power back up as the power LED goes solid again, the power button and One Touch buttons all glow blue agin, and I can open the CD drive with the soft button, BUT nothing actually comes back on screen. I am not sure if the screen is just not turning back on or what. I think not, as I have not seen the HDD activity light come back on, and the wireless card does not appear to power up either?

Any tips?

thanks

Dave

PS: The only way I can recover is to press the power button for perhaps 3 seconds to fully power off, and the reboot.
Perhaps someone could point me to some log that might hold the details of what happened when I tried to resume from suspend?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:34 pm

You'll have to set up a script to stop your network when it goes into suspend and start it back up when it comes out of suspend (see my example earlier in this thread). Regarding your video, this might be a harder problem to overcome because mine comes back without any coaxing. I should say it comes back after a suspend to RAM but a suspend to disk it freaks out if I have DRI loaded in my xorg.conf. Check your /var/log/messages and /var/log/acpid for suspend messages.