Building RPM Kernel with a patch -- how to add?

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
figuerres
user
user

Post by figuerres »

UPDATE: Clean build!!! :D
Not yet tested on the firewall box but now I can configure and build w/o nasty exits etc...

so far as Pascal / C and the like:

my first language was C= Commodore Basic on a VIC 20
hardware hacks: home built tape interface for data storage
and a rom chip from one cart added to another to give more functions.

after that I learned 6502 assembler and C on a C= Commodore 128

from that I went on to an Amiga 500 and a string of differnt PC's
PC XT, PC AT, 386, etc...

when I first did my C and ASM on the 128 I was able to follow the code traslation from C to asm code ... and learned a *LOT* then.

to me C *IS* an assembly language thats just a bit more abstract.
I was writing classes with pointers to functions at the same time as C++ was first sold to programmers as the new thing to have...
I said heck a class is just a struct with pointers to functions!

Give me the right pointer and I'll re-boot the universe :D
-- Or hack the Matrix --

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

I also started programming in basic on the VIC20 and C64. I got my first x86 PC (Tandy 1000) in the mid 80s and ran a dual node PCBoard BBS on it. I started with 2 20MB hard cards (at $500/ea) and actually became the second largest BBS in the state after adding an 80MB Seagate drive boosted to 146MB with the use of a Perstore controller. That's when I got into Pascal. I started writing admin utilities for the PCBoard system among other shareware utilities that actually became semi-popular in the day. That was my hobby at the time and I wasn't getting much sleep at night so I decided to go to school and become a programmer full time.

So around '92 that's what I did, starting with IBM mainframes and then on IBM RS/6000 (AIX/UNIX). I actually quickly got bored programming full time as a job so I worked my way into administration/engineering and now networking and security. I still get to do a lot of programming but I don't have to follow the rules. :) I lost count of how many languages I have done significant programming in, well over 20.

figuerres
user
user

Post by figuerres »

Void Main wrote:I also started programming in basic on the VIC20 and C64. I got my first x86 PC (Tandy 1000) in the mid 80s and ran a dual node PCBoard BBS on it. I started with 2 20MB hard cards (at $500/ea) and actually became the second largest BBS in the state after adding an 80MB Seagate drive boosted to 146MB with the use of a Perstore controller. That's when I got into Pascal. I started writing admin utilities for the PCBoard system among other shareware utilities that actually became semi-popular in the day. That was my hobby at the time and I wasn't getting much sleep at night so I decided to go to school and become a programmer full time.

So around '92 that's what I did, starting with IBM mainframes and then on IBM RS/6000 (AIX/UNIX). I actually quickly got bored programming full time as a job so I worked my way into administration/engineering and now networking and security. I still get to do a lot of programming but I don't have to follow the rules. :) I lost count of how many languages I have done significant programming in, well over 20.
A fellow "Commie" Eh?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main »

Yeah, I actually still had 2 C64s and a couple of those old external floppy drives (what were they 1541?) and a bunch of games up until around 3-5 years back when I gave them to a friend. Before I gave them away I booted up a basic program from floppy. I couldn't believe how long it took to boot! :) And those drives were screamers compared to the old cassette tapes. :) I still have fond memories of the old text based adventure games like the Zork series. Heck, I still remember getting "Pong" when it first came out long before the VIC20. It's amazing how far things have come from a little white dot streaking across your black and white TV screen with you controlling a little white line to try and stop it from leaving the screen to what we have now. :)