About the startup screen: details view

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
figuerres
user
user

About the startup screen: details view

Post by figuerres » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:15 am

just wondering if this happens on all FC3 or just me.

grub does it 's thingnand then the graphical system startup gets going and at some point it decides to open the details view and show me the text of the different steps...
then it closes....
then it opens....

and if I change it from one to the other the startup still toggles it back and forth.

no I do not see any error messages.

it's as if someone thought it would be cool to confuse and frustrate the user with having the darn thing act on it's own.

is it just me?
anyone know why it's doing that?
how to stop it?

thanks!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:22 am

That doen't happen to me. If I have "rhgb quiet" on my kernel boot line it does the graphical boot and if all services start successfully it just tells me which service it's starting. If one fails it opens and hows the services starting (with the green/red OK/FAIL lines) but it stays open at that point. Not sure why it would do what you are saying.

figuerres
user
user

Post by figuerres » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:57 am

yes my system has the rhgb quiet command.

odd.... every FC3 does this so far as I have noticed.

the next time I re-start the box I am preparing to be a firewall I'll have to watch it ....

yeah if i saw error messages about things failing I'd totaly understand that.

not the end of the world... but odd.

dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Post by dickinsd » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:45 am

Yes that is odd.

I have a machine that does the same thing, I am not too sure why, but like you said its not the end of the world, so I don't really worry about it too much.

I have 3 machines in my house with FC3 installed, and I installed them all pretty much the same way. 2 of them do as they should, but the 3rd machine does what you mentioned.

The only thing I can think is that when I first installed FC3 on 'that' machine I did keep clicking the show details, although I have tried to tick hide details several times since, this is the only machine I asked to view the details, and it is the only machine that won't stop showing me the details.

No biggie

Dave

figuerres
user
user

Post by figuerres » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:52 am

dickinsd wrote:Yes that is odd.

I have a machine that does the same thing, I am not too sure why, but like you said its not the end of the world, so I don't really worry about it too much.

I have 3 machines in my house with FC3 installed, and I installed them all pretty much the same way. 2 of them do as they should, but the 3rd machine does what you mentioned.

The only thing I can think is that when I first installed FC3 on 'that' machine I did keep clicking the show details, although I have tried to tick hide details several times since, this is the only machine I asked to view the details, and it is the only machine that won't stop showing me the details.

No biggie

Dave
thanks!

so at least it's not *JUST* me ! :D

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:08 am

You can always turn off the graphical boot by taking out the "rhgb" and I would also take out the "quiet". On a firewall box I don't even install X so there is no chance of even having a graphical boot. :)

figuerres
user
user

Post by figuerres » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:44 pm

yes, when I am done it will be a *VERY* minimal system, I have the tools and stuff there while I am working out my setup.

I have a box I built about 4 years back with a simmialr setup but thats RedHat 6 I think -- or maby 7?? No sure if I updated it after the first build up.

so yes the final config will have no development packages, no X packages etc...