USB in Linux

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
kovax
scripter
scripter

USB in Linux

Post by kovax » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:28 am

Not sure if someone has posed this yet but my questions is how do i use USB in linux?
I have a portable USB drive that I would like to stre some data on.
THanks!

dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Post by dickinsd » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:26 pm

Have you tried to use USB in Fedora/Redhat yet? and if so what happened?

I have not used a portable USB hard drive.

But I have used USB mice I have no problems with this.

I also use the USB connection to connect my digital camera to my computer so that I can transfer files etc.

I have had no problems, all I do is 'plug it in' the device is mounted and I get a Hard Disk logo on the desktop, I can then browse, add and remove files as if it where connected to my XP machine.

If you have not tried yet, just go for it, if you have tried, perhaps you could post any errors? or details of what happens.

Dave

dickinsd
scripter
scripter

Post by dickinsd » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:31 pm

I just hooked my USB Zip drive up to my Fedora machine.

It worked in much the same way, Fedora appeared to detect it right away, I then inserted a Zip disk and a little icon appeared on the desktop called Zip-100 and I can copy files to and from this device with no problems.

Dave

EDIT: The Zip drive also appears when you click Computer, Just as I would expect it to if I where using WinXP.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:45 pm

Yeah, in Fedora you should be able to just plug it in and it should automatically mount it. If this doesn't work for you then give us the make/model of your drive so we can do a little research.

kovax
scripter
scripter

USB Drive

Post by kovax » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:29 pm

I am ussinig a NetDisk 120. I want to use the USB and not the network connection. Also, I dont use the GUI (kde) that often. I am trying to use more command line. Plus i do a lot of remote administration.
Thanks

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:41 pm

After you plug it in does it show up as mounted? Just type "mount" on a command line to see what is currently mounted. It will probably show up as /dev/sda1 and it would be mounted under a subdirectory of /media. Also if you type "/sbin/lsusb -v" should give you a lot of information about what is plugged in.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:55 pm

usb devices such as cameras, memory sticks and portable hard drives often use the "usb mass storage" driver. in nice simple systems like slackware it doesn't do any fancy automounting malarkey and what you need to do is put "/sbin/modprobe usb-storage" in your startup scripts (/etc/rc.modules in slack i think) to make sure the driver gets loaded at boot time , then you can mount the usb device as normal. the only thing is trying to figure out what the device name is, i tend to go and use google to find out what other people use in their fstab to mount a device with a particular model number (camera, zip drive et cetera) and use their device name.

that's my understanding of it, quite limited really, but it's a;ll i have ever needed. in things like red hat, mandrake and suse, it tends to have some sort of automounting deal going on, but i like to use what i know since those things seem to me to use different methods of doing this and different mount points and so on. if i know i want it mounted on /mnt/camera then that's where i will golly gosh darn make sure it mounts at.

thank you and good night.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:49 pm

If you use a usb device often with Slackware, it would probably make good sense to recompile the kernel with the module in there. It's not that hard.