alsa on red hat

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Calum
guru
guru

alsa on red hat

Post by Calum » Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:06 pm

okay, i just used synaptic to install alsa on red hat 8. surprisingly still no sound.

my sound card (C-Media) is not properly supported by red hat but works fine in mandrake. this is because mandrake uses alsa and red hat doesn't.

has anybody else installed alsa on red hat? the site seems to be infinitely confusing to me so i just wondered if somebody had actually done it themselves?

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Thu Feb 20, 2003 1:29 pm

Have you loaded the driver?
You might take a look here http://www.alsa-project.org/~valentyn/A ... WTO-5.html.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:20 pm

i don't think i have done that.
i used apt to download all the rpms and install them, but i did not do anything else. now whenever i try and use alsaplayer or alsamixer or the alsa plugin in xmms i get a bunch of no such file or directory stuff.

now i am most confused by that mini howto at http://www.alsa-project.org/~valentyn/ - i printed it out yesterday from the ibiblio.org but it is highly confusing to me and it weighs in at 30 pages, so i just wondered what that crucial step is that i am obviously not doing between installing the rpms and getting it to work.
is this like mplayer where i will need to install from source in order to get it to work.

i'll read it a bit more tomorrow.
thanks!

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:51 pm

As I understand it, in order for your soundcard to use the alsa driver you need to load the driver first.
I also read some stuff on runninf alsaconf to configure the driver and choose the right alsa driver for your soundcard.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:18 pm

i don't have an alsaconf, however i do have an alsactl which seems woefully undocumented.
it will turn out to be something to do with modules i bet. will read (or try to) more tomorrow.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:43 am

hehe calum we have the exact same computer and mine works fine in redhat and all apps. oh well. by the way whats your case look like? i wonder if these were mass produced or sometihng cos i got it from some shop owned by an indian in fairfeild (if you can remeber that place)

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:35 pm

no, mine's a reconditioned second hand machine i got cheap from a mid range local computer shop. it was the most boring looking case in the shop out of the reconditioned machines, but it had the best all round spec (and i changed the modem and sound card myself for better ones).

I'm back to mandrake anyway, the main problems i have with mandrake are cosmetic ones, while not being able to play cds in red hat really pisses me off. i think i will just have to cope with mandrake's relative shitty look and feel.