USB thumbdrive umount problem FC3

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
dishawjp
administrator
administrator

USB thumbdrive umount problem FC3

Post by dishawjp » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:33 am

Hi All,

I have a new problem on two different FC3 computers. I have been using USB thumbdrives for a while on both machines, and they would mount automatically and unmount with a simple right-click on the icon.

A couple of weeks ago, my court clerk called me to tell me that her computer crashed after doing her weekly backups (to the thumbdrive). It was a hard crash that occurred when she went to shut the machine down. She had to power down and then I had to fsck the drive. I then checked mine at home and the same thing happened. This is a repeatable problem with both computers, though CD, DVD, and floppy drives seem to work normally.

When the drive is unmounted, either from the command line or from the GUI, the directory /media/usbdisk remains, although it becomes an empty directory.

If the drive is left in the computer, it will shut down normally. Also is I su to root and rmdir the directory, I can get a normal shutdown.

Anyone else experience this or know of a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: USB thumbdrive umount problem FC3

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:01 am

dishawjp wrote:A couple of weeks ago, my court clerk called me to tell me that her computer crashed after doing her weekly backups (to the thumbdrive). It was a hard crash that occurred when she went to shut the machine down. She had to power down and then I had to fsck the drive. I then checked mine at home and the same thing happened. This is a repeatable problem with both computers, though CD, DVD, and floppy drives seem to work normally.
I thought I was the only one. :) Actually I don't use mine that much but the last two times I have I had a similar problem. I meant to look into it but haven't had time as of yet. Maybe I'll make time now.
When the drive is unmounted, either from the command line or from the GUI, the directory /media/usbdisk remains, although it becomes an empty directory.
This is the way it should work.
If the drive is left in the computer, it will shut down normally. Also is I su to root and rmdir the directory, I can get a normal shutdown.
Really? That's interesting. Maybe when I said "that's the way it should work" above is not correct then. I gotta dig

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:59 am

This is the way it should work.
I only found this out by "playing" with it. I know that the floppy and CD drive directories are persistant, and the computer will shut down normally with them in place. But since we do weekly backups of my court data files to thumbdrives, I had to find some way to shutdown without risking damage to my file structure.

I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Jim

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:14 am

My usb stick works just fine. I used to use a Gnome panel thingy to mount/umount the device, but I deleted it, since kudzu is just fine with the drive. Rightclick to eject/umount is hassle-free. Even random usb drives I have never used before are found and mounted. Of course I have an fstab line for my stick, and finding out what device it was assigning the stick was the hard part.
If the drive is left in the computer, it will shut down normally.
That seems right - Fedora unmounts all drives and devices during its shutdown routine.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:07 pm

I had no problem unmounting, in fact I always do it from the command line. I have noticed on two occasions where my system locked up on shutdown and on both occasions I had used my memory stick. I figure it's some sort of kernel problem. What versions are you guys running? I am running "2.6.11-1.14_FC3". My problem may have started after upgrading to that kernel. I didn't used to have a problem and I don't have a problem on my desktop (I don't think I've upgraded the kernel on it yet).

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:22 pm

Right now I am running a custom-built version of 2.6.11, which is based on the kernel.org download of 2.6.11.11. I was trying to get more scanner support - all in vain, considering the awfulness of my scanner. But it is working swell so far - no issues.

I built-in just about every module that had anything to do with USB, because my scanner was USB. The scanner doesn't work, but all that extra USB support probably helps with the USB sticks.

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:07 pm

Voidmain,

I haven't gotten home yet, but am at court. My computer here is running the following kernel:

Code: Select all

[dishawjp@Camelot ~]$ uname -r
2.6.11-1.14_FC3
[dishawjp@Camelot ~]$
I'm pretty sure that I'm running a newer kernel on my home computer and will post that later.

Thanks!

Jim

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:15 pm

That's the same kernel I am running that I am having the same problem with. I think the kernel might just be the problem. I'll test it in a minute since I know have Fedora Core 4 with a newer kernel on this machine.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:22 pm

Update: based on a sample of 1 I have plugged in my USB stick, copied some files, unmounted it, removed it and rebooted my laptop without it crashing. That means that either A) the newer kernel solved the problem or B) something else in FC4 solved the problem or C) I just got lucky this time.

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:18 pm

I just got home from court and uname -r reports this on my home computer.

Code: Select all

[dishawjp@eunix ~]$ uname -r
2.6.10-1.741_FC3
[dishawjp@eunix ~]$
So I'm having this probelm with two different kernels. I wonder if there was something else that got changed in FC3 that caused the problem on both these computers.

I haven't had a chance to even begin downloading the .iso's for FC4 yet. We're having some pretty severe weather here tonight and I don't want to even begin the download yet. If we lose power, I'm only good for about 10 minutes or so on my UPS. It is good to know that FC4 will fix this though.

Thanks for everything!

How do you like FC4 so far?

Jim

caveman
programmer
programmer

Post by caveman » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:30 pm

Hi guys.

I had the same problem with kernel-2.6.11-1.14_FC3,
in fact - mounting the usb drive, unmounting it and then unplugging it...
when I rebooted, the machine just froze and would not go down...
had to to a reset to get it going. After playing around I discovered the
problem with my memory stick.

Now I cannot remember on which forum I got the answer, think it was
www.fedoraforum.org , but someone said it was a known problem with
that specific kernel and that I should revert to the previous one.

Fortunatly the 1.27 then became available.
I then upgrades to 2.6.11-1.27_FC3 and the problem so-far seems to
be solved..

Hope this helps.
Last edited by caveman on Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:30 pm

Well, since I just did an upgrade I haven't noticed any big differences. There are certainly some small improvements here and there. I'll have to read over the release notes:

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc4/

The biggies I see right off the top for me are MySQL 4.1, PHP 5.0, GCC 4.0.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:32 pm

Hey, try caveman's suggestion about upgrading the kernel. That might just solve it. The problem might have started a few releases back.

caveman
programmer
programmer

Post by caveman » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:57 pm