[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - apt not cooperating

apt not cooperating

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat

apt not cooperating

Postby worker201 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:39 pm

I'm having some troubles with apt. It doesn't seem to want to work. Synaptic works, kinda - all it will do is give you a list of the packages installed. I think my sources are messed up or something. Anyway, I ran "apt-get install mjpegtools", and it couldn't find it. Then I tried "apt-get install libquicktime", and it couldn't find that either. Fortunately, I have figured out how to go to Freshrpms and find all the rpms I could ever want.

So what's the deal? How do I get this thing to work?

I mean, I like synaptic - it was very handy. I don't need an rpm finder/manager, because I can do it myself. In fact, I can build anything from source, I don't even need rpms. But they're convenient. So I would like to get this working.
worker201
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:16 pm

Can you post the output of the following commands?

# rpm -q apt
# apt-get update
# apt-get dist-upgrade

Also, you might want to look over my apt/synaptic tip (even though it's not up to date) just so you can get an idea of how things work:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/redhat/fe ... _have.html

The main differences is that instead of using apt from FreshRPMS, use the one from Dag's site, and instead of editing /etc/apt/sources.list for your repositories it would be these files: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby worker201 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:33 pm

Turns out my sources files were fouled up. Since I was going to be copying and pasting, I used "gedit dag.list" from the command line. For some reason, this removed dag.list and created dag.list.rpmnew and dag.list.rpmsave. The result was that Dag's repo could not be found. I only used gedit to save some time and effort. Once I got this sorted out, I used vi instead, like I usually do.

So, now apt and synaptic work okay. Kinda strange, though, that some of the package upgrades now have unresolvable dependencies. Like gaim and Abiword, 2 of my favorites. Hopefully that will get sorted out soon.
worker201
guru
guru

Postby worker201 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:42 pm

worker201
guru
guru

Postby Tux » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:14 pm

Tux
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:38 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby worker201 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:02 pm

worker201
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:09 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby worker201 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:24 pm

worker201
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:30 pm

Did you remove synaptic like I suggested in the previous note? Which version do you have installed?

# rpm -q synaptic

If it's not "synaptic-0.55.3-1.rf" do this:

# rpm -e synaptic
# apt-get install synaptic

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I forgot that Synaptic hasn't been built for FC4 yet. I built my own from . You can do the same or you can add my repository to your sources.list.d directory and then install synaptic with apt.

Add this file to your /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory:
http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/RPMS/void.list

Then:
# apt-get update
# apt-get install synaptic
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby worker201 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:14 pm

worker201
guru
guru