bittorrent unhappiness

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
worker201
guru
guru

bittorrent unhappiness

Post by worker201 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:20 am

Been having a little trouble with bittorrent since the upgrade to FC4. Like, it keeps crashing. So I uninstall it and then reinstall it. Oh, it doesn't work! Lame. I've been getting it through apt, via "apt-get install bittorrent". The install seems to go okay, but it doesn't add it to the Applications > Internet list like I expect it to. So, I try to run it from the command line by typing "btdownloadgui.py", which is what the shortcut would do. I get some kind of error message like "/usr/bin/python: unknown module 'bittorrent'". This also happens when I try to use btdownloadcurses.py.

I was thinking that it was just an rpm failure, considering the fact that FC4 is so new. So I tried to download rpms and source tarballs directly from the bittorrent Sourceforge site. This has proved fruitless, and not one single download has completed. Which makes me think that bittorrent itself is the problem here.

Any suggestions as to how I can resolve this issue?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:48 pm

At a command line type type this:

Code: Select all

$ export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages
$ btdownloadgui.py
If it runs you could add the export command to your .bash_profile. I ran into this a while back and the above worked for me. I'm not sure if the problem is with the bittorrent package or the python package. I very rarely use bittorrent so I haven't been interested in digging into it.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:22 pm

Okay, that worked. Some other kinda strange things are happening now. I noticed that btdownloadgui.py had disappeared for some reason, but btdownloadcurses.py was still there. But I wanted the gui, so I removed it, and managed to grab an rpm from the bittorrent site. Of course the generic rpm doesn't add bittorrent to your applications list. I ended up spawning it from the command line.

More to the point, would it work if it did? I added that export line to my .bash_profile. Does that only affect things launched from terminal, or everything on the machine?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:05 pm

Actually it appears that the BitTorrent RPM was built against python 2.3 and FC4 has python 2.4. Notice the modules are installed under the 2.3 directory structure. You can either rebuild the BitTorrent package, install if from source, or you can symlink the BitTorrent python modules over to the python 2.4 directory structure. Then you don't need to mess with your bashrc and it will be a global bandaide.

Code: Select all

# cd /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages
# ln -s ../../python2.3/site-packages/khashmir
# ln -s ../../python2.3/site-packages/BitTorrent
Just create a launcher to start btdownloadgui.py if you need an icon to start it.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:36 pm

The first link, 'ln -s ../../python2.3/site-packages/khashmir' didn't take, because there was already a directory in that location called khashmir. No problem - didn't seem to need it. The second link was successful, and solved the problem nicely.

Thanks for the tips.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:27 pm

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I had a similar problem again. This time it was yum acting up. It was trying to find libxml2.pyc, but it looked in /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/ instead of python2.4.

The solution was to copy the libxml2.pyc file to libxml2.pyc.old, thus forcing yum to use python2.4.

Can I go ahead and delete the python2.3 folders? I don't have 2.3 installed on my system anymore, but some of the files stick around for backward compatibility. I don't think I have any programs using 2.3 left.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:29 pm

As long as none of the files belong to any package or module that you are still using I don't think that would be a problem.

kovax
scripter
scripter

bit torrent client

Post by kovax » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:58 am

What is the best bit torrent client for Linux? I was runing in on Window$ but I am in the process of converting my main downloaing machine. Right now it runs BitTornado, Newsbin, MIRC and Limewire.
Can I run any of these in Red Hat 9?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:46 am

What's wrong with plain old bittorrent? That's what I use:

http://www.bittorrent.com/

Actually to install all I had to do was:
# apt-get install bittorrent

Tux
guru
guru

Re: bit torrent client

Post by Tux » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:04 am

kovax wrote:What is the best bit torrent client for Linux? I was runing in on Window$ but I am in the process of converting my main downloaing machine. Right now it runs BitTornado, Newsbin, MIRC and Limewire.
Can I run any of these in Red Hat 9?

BitTornado is a bunch of python sources, so yes you can run it.
Limewire is a Java pplication, so yes you can run it.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:31 pm

I use Ktorrent :)

kovax
scripter
scripter

Installed now what

Post by kovax » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:09 pm

I have ktorrent installed now and it seems to stay in a stalled state when i download anything. I have even tried to change the ports and still no love.

Any one???? I am trying to completely migrate from WindoZe

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:27 pm

Are you behind a firewall?
Are you downloading something that has lots of peers/seeders?

I use ktorrent. I dont have anything set on my router, but i use UPnP. The usual case for long stalls is that I am trying to download something that has too few peers. Also, did you change the default maximum connection settings? Setting them too high may cause the same thing.

Which version of ktorrent are you running?

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:42 am

*being lazy*
ktorrent is that with a GUI?
if so got any other good console torrent thing?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:16 am

Basher, the regular bittorrent client can be run in a few ways. From console with a curses interface, from console without a curses interface, and from a GUI. That's the only one I have ever used and it's always worked for me (providing the conditions MoR mention are met). I only torrent rarely though (maybe download a prerelease of Fedora that way if that is the only way it is available).

http://www.bittorrent.com/download