bittorrent unhappiness

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:06 am

a friend of mine recommended azureus to me (a bittorrent client with gui) which i have been trying, i don't know much about it so can't comment on how good it is, but since somebody asked about other clients, there you go.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:42 am

I use Azureus. It's neat and tidy, totally adjustable (CPU usage wise), and my personal favorite, none of that advertisment crap. You can search for torrents straight from the client or do the traditional click on link stuff.

Be carefull though. In linux, Java JRE has to be set up exctly right or it's a pain in the farse.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:20 am

really? i have bog standard ubuntu and it works fine for me. didn't know i could search in the client though, i will need to figure that out.

EDIT: actually i apt-getted it and it installed half a dozen extra java things that nothing else uses, so maybe it's been compiled in this way so it doesn't rely on someone's existing java setup.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:18 am

Yep. If you apt-get, synaptic, or automatix it, then java JRE will be set up by that application. So when they compiled it, they were obviously thinking of what a pain Java is to install properly and did it for us.