FC4 & Synaptic (again)

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
worker201
guru
guru

FC4 & Synaptic (again)

Post by worker201 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:17 pm

Hate to beat a dead horse, but when might synaptic be back? Anybody have any rumors, ideas, or info? It's a wickedly convenient program, and I miss it.

What if I was interested in helping out, or fixing it myself? What would be involved here? Presumably, it would just be a case of updating the synaptic source to accept the newer libapt. Is this even viable? If anything can be done, I'd like to give it a shot.

Unfortunately, their website doesn't have any information or updates for us impatient 'customers'.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:23 pm

I have synaptic. Just grab the source rpm and:

rpmbuild --rebuild synapt*src.rpm

Then install it.

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:45 pm

Not sure if what I did is good, bad, or indifferent, but I wanted to have access to the Fedora Extras at freshrpms.net and be able to install programs like synaptic and all from apt. Maybe I am too impatient or lazy or whatever.

I did an "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y" with the version of apt from Dag's repository which I had been working with since installing FC4.

Then I added the line:
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/4/i386 extras
to the freasrpms.list file in my sources.list.d directory then did another apt-get update and upgrade. I noticed that it installed a newer version of apt and that it was hitting the freshrpms extras repository. The bad news is that it messed with my sources.list.d and made *.rpmsave files out of my *.list files there. But it also created a sources.list file in /etc/apt that only had the freshrpms extras listed. That made extras my only repository, not the intended result. But I added this:
rpm http://ayo.freshrpms.net fedora/linux/4/i386 freshrpms
line and I now have access to updates and extras.

I still have to add the other repositories I lost, but can do that easily enough and I will then have access to updates and extras. I was able to install synaptic easily with the "apt-get install synaptic" command and got all the SDL libraries I needed the same way.

I'm sure that Voidmain will post if this is not a proper way to do things, but if you're impatient like I was and want access through apt to Fedora Extras now, at least this seems to be one way to do it.

HTH,

Jim DIshaw