lost my soundcard

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
worker201
guru
guru

lost my soundcard

Post by worker201 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:49 pm

Well, I built the 2.6.12-5 kernel recently for iPod purposes. One of things I did while there was build ALSA and the OSS api's into the kernel, along with the appropriate soundcard files. Of course now the sound won't work. The way sound was set up on the previous kernel was that everything that worked with sound was a module, and the redhat tool system-config-soundcard was a sort of module loader. Now that my soundcard is not a module, system-config-soundcard won't even work.

Is there a way around this? Or am I going to have to rebuild the kernel again?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:12 pm

The way I usually build kernels is to build it *exactly* as the distributed kernel is built with the exception of the one or two things I want to turn on or off. It really saves a lot of headaches like you are seeing now. Just use the config found in /boot for whatever kernel version you are rebuilding as a base. I always prefer modules over compiling things directly into the kernel. I really haven't had to build a kernel in quite some time though as everything I use is included and what's not I can usually build as a module without recompiling the kernel (madwifi vmware nvidia etc).

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:29 pm

The iPod requires like 4 things that are modules by default - adding all those things whenever I want to use the iPod didn't seem to make sense. So I went with the rebuild. Looks like there will be another rebuild tomorrow.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:55 pm

If you have things set up properly the modules should load automatically and even mount your iPod automatically just like when you plug your USB memory stick in. Withouth having one to play with I can't tell you what the exact configuration you need but it would be in the area of hotplug, modprobe.conf, etc. Worst case scenerio of you can't get them to load automatically when you plug the device in is to load them in your rc.local file, but that's ugly.