No Verbatim 48x12x48 for Redhat

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
RudeCat
n00b
n00b

No Verbatim 48x12x48 for Redhat

Post by RudeCat » Mon Feb 24, 2003 8:57 pm

FYI,

I had been having no luck with audio Cds in Redhat 8.0 with my Verbatim 48x12x48 internal drive. I thought it was some kind of setup issue....but as luck would have it, I had the opportunity to switch this drive out with a Lite-on 48x24x48 and this fixed the problem, I don't know why but the Verbatim model (supposedly Cendyne) didn't want to read audio CDs in Redhat.

I highly recommend Lite-on brand drives. Alot of generic drives are actually manufactured by Lite-on, but are not necessarily assembled to the same level of quality and are boxed under different brand names. I will probably only buy drives that are labeled as "Lite-On" from now on. :wink:

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:18 am

yup although the liteon 48x24x48 was labelled ``For use with MS Windows" it still worked and works like a charm, im pretty happy with liteon stuff.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:15 am

my cdrw is a lite-on and i got it for a song split new, i would highly recommend it as it is excellent (and it goes at a ridiculous 48x!!!) it is a little noisy though.

TheQuirk
programmer
programmer

Post by TheQuirk » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:04 pm

Until yesterday, I had a Digital Research 48x16x48 (but after opening it and looking on the bezel + messing with cdrecord, I found out it was actually 52x16x52!) for 29 days (a record for me--usually I screw everything up with my "experiments"). All I can say is praise. It's cheap, works well and fast, never made a coaster, and pretty quiet (although I now listen to music while using it, so maybe I'm just not noticing it).

Sense yesterday, though, it hasn't worked. You see, it requires ~20watts of power (12v, 0.8a + 5v, 1.4a), and it's running in a computer with a 90watt PSU (probably less, it's cheap!). Now, because the PSU is a switching one, if it can't provide enough power, it drops 12v to 5v and doesn't let me use it. So while trying to make it work, I ended up getting a PSU of its own for it (actually, a self-made one by my dad, which is 60watts, giving me access to 5v, 1.5a and 12v at.. I think it's 1a, I forgot)... So, while seeing if everything worked well, I managed to short-circuit the entire thing using a voltage meter. That's OK, though. I can still return it today and get a replacement (and buy a nice new case with a decent PSU--not some no-brand cheapo Taiwanese POS).