where are you little apt???

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

where are you little apt???

Post by ZiaTioN » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:10 pm

Ok so of course one of the first things I try to do on my new instal is grab apt. Can't make since out of what I found at freshrpms and the files on dag seem to be gone. I saw in another post here someone else was saying something about this and void pointed to a local copy of the FC4 apt for i386. Is there anything out there for those of us on a 64 bit system?

I see 64 bit releases for 1 through 3 but not 4 on eaither site or on this site. Any ideas? Can I use the i386 version for an x86_64 bit system?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:26 pm

Yes you can use the i386 version on a x86_64. Everything is compiled 32 bit though but it still runs just fine. You actually might have less headaches running the regular i386 versions as when running the 64 bit version you'll surely run into issues along the lines like a 64 bit Firefox not being able to utilize 32 bit plugins. But I asked the same question you did recently:

http://lists.freshrpms.net/pipermail/fr ... 13498.html

Here it is:
http://dries.studentenweb.org/rpm/packa ... /info.html

You might also want to take a look at smart because it is:
http://rpmforge.net/user/packages/smart/

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:29 pm

"Where oh where has my little apt gone?"

HAHA, I guess great minds think alike... Thanks for the links.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:48 pm

Ok I tried the i386 one just for kicks and it failed due to dependencies. So I did a --nodeps and it install but failed to run due to those dependencies (duh). So I installed the 64 bit version and it installed cleanly but when I try to do an "apt-get upgrade" or "apt-get install php-mysql" or anything else I get a scrolling list of failed dependecies with errors such as:

"There are multiple versions of "libjpeg" in your system."

It warns me of this on numerous files. I do not think I am going to like this 64 bit version just yet.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:10 pm

Ok it is official. I am reverting back to the 32 bit version. It seems the 64 bit version is not quiet ready for mass release yet. The initial OS installs and seems to run great but there is zero hope for scalability due to lack of 64 bit repositories and other supporting 64 bit applications. The flipping FC4 repos are not even seperated into 32 bit and 64 bit repos. So when I try and do an apt-get anything it is trying to grab 32 bit packages and install them on my 64 bit platform.

I suppose I could hunt around for an all 64 bit repo but I am willing to bet the robustness of such a repo would not be there compared to those of the 32 bit world. I am trying to run stable lasting services on my server so I am not interested in cutting edge development at this point in time. Maybe I will try again in a year or two. I have the hardware so I will be ready for the software when it catches up.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:06 am

ZiaTioN wrote:Ok I tried the i386 one just for kicks and it failed due to dependencies. So I did a --nodeps and it install but failed to run due to those dependencies (duh). So I installed the 64 bit version and it installed cleanly but when I try to do an "apt-get upgrade" or "apt-get install php-mysql" or anything else I get a scrolling list of failed dependecies with errors such as:

"There are multiple versions of "libjpeg" in your system."

It warns me of this on numerous files. I do not think I am going to like this 64 bit version just yet.
I thought you were talking about the i386 version of Fedora, not just apt. Sorry about that. Yeah, if you are running the 64 bit version of Fedora you would want the 64 bit version of apt, and you have to install all the dependent packages, you can't just force install it and expect it to work.

As far as the multiple versions of packages, it's very probably that what it says is true and you will have to fix that by removing the old version. What does "rpm -q libjpeg" give you? If there are two versions you need to remove the old one by specifying the full package/version name (rpm -e libjpeg-xx.xx.xx"). Do that for each package it shows more than one copy of. There probably aren't that many. I have run into the a few times in the past when upgrading via apt.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:14 am

ZiaTioN wrote:Ok it is official. I am reverting back to the 32 bit version. It seems the 64 bit version is not quiet ready for mass release yet. The initial OS installs and seems to run great but there is zero hope for scalability due to lack of 64 bit repositories and other supporting 64 bit applications. The flipping FC4 repos are not even seperated into 32 bit and 64 bit repos. So when I try and do an apt-get anything it is trying to grab 32 bit packages and install them on my 64 bit platform.

I suppose I could hunt around for an all 64 bit repo but I am willing to bet the robustness of such a repo would not be there compared to those of the 32 bit world. I am trying to run stable lasting services on my server so I am not interested in cutting edge development at this point in time. Maybe I will try again in a year or two. I have the hardware so I will be ready for the software when it catches up.
Guess I should have read your second note before replying to your first note. :) I had to lease replace an HP DL380 the other day where the old machine was using Intel Xeon processors and had the i386 version of FC4 installed on it. The new DL380 actually had 2 64 bit AMD Operon processors w/4GB RAM. I just swapped the hard drives out and FC4 came right up with no problems. It would probably perform a little better with the 64 bit kernel and GLIBC but I know I would run into issues like you have run in to so I just plan on leaving it 32 bit. It still runs great.