Apt dumbness

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
worker201
guru
guru

Apt dumbness

Post by worker201 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:02 pm

I just got back from Galapagos (highly recommended), and there were a bunch of updates to do. There was a new kernel too, so I got that as well. And, since they were just taking up space, I used apt to uninstall my old ones. Long update, but no problems.

Later, I plugged my USB drive in, and it was recognized, but it could not be mounted. I tried all 6 USB ports I had available, with no luck. Then I tried another computer, and it worked fine. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Could all my USB ports be dead? Could Linux have forgotten how to use USB?

Restarting the computer solved the problem instantly. Apparently, I was a bit too over-zealous in my deleting of older kernels, and deleted the one I was using! Inserting the USB drive caused the kernel to search for the USB module, which was deleted by apt. So there was a failure. Restarting loaded the new kernel, which had all its modules intact.

So make sure you don't make the same idiot mistake I did. Although it seems like it would be a good idea to throw up a warning or dialog box when something like this happens. Apt ought to be able to notice that you are using a kernel, and not allow you to delete it. And when the kernel can't find a module, it should tell someone.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:37 pm

Dem R sum funny lookin' alligators!

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:48 pm

According to Darwin's "The Voyage of the Beagle", they aren't actually iguanas, but a distant relative. Everyone calls them iguanas, though.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:20 pm

I don't think I would want to tangle with one.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:42 pm

The ones pictured are only housecat size. Darwin, the consummate naturalist that he is, writes about picking them up by the tail and throwing them, for scientific purposes. He was a bit of a moron sometimes.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:50 pm

I can relate to that. :)

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:38 pm

worker201 wrote:The ones pictured are only housecat size. Darwin, the consummate naturalist that he is, writes about picking them up by the tail and throwing them, for scientific purposes. He was a bit of a moron sometimes.
He was a moron because everything he ever said and passed off as his own was actually work of his grandfather and not himself. LOL...

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:06 am

also because he was narrowminded, little realising that just because one person appears to be right, it doesn't mean that everybody else is necessarily wrong.