autorun and root pass

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Master of Reality
guru
guru

autorun and root pass

Post by Master of Reality » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:02 pm

So i am selling an oldish thinkpad, and i was asked to set it up with linux first. I put on Fedora 4. Now... I'm wondering what is this autorun thing running in the taskbar when i first log into KDE?
And also is there someway to stop it from saving the root password when i type it in for things like the system settings tools or setting the clock, etc.?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:46 pm

KDE? What's that? :) I guess I haven't used it in a while because neither of those issues are familiar to me. I'll see what I can find out...

...I don't get the Autorun thing when I log in to KDE. Regarding the saving of root's password I think it only saves it for the logged in session. If you want to forget the password you can click on the litte shield on the right side of the kicker and say "Forget Authorization". Or do you just want it to ask you for each tool you open like it does in GNOME?

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:42 pm

Well i've never seen the little shield before using Fedora just now, but id rather it ask me every time. I often leave my laptop lying around and wouldnt want someone getting into a root setting.

Yea theres this autorun "window" in the taskbar (no actual window though). And the mouse has a bouncing clock icon for about 30 seconds and then they both go away :shock: :?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:13 am

Ok, here's what I found out about KDE's root password remembering. GNOME uses consolehelper which asks for a password every time and doesn't remember it. KDE uses sudo which by default remembers the password for 5 minutes (see "man sudoers"). You could probably change this behavior by modifying your /etc/sudoers file. If you'll notice KDE only remembers the password for 5 minutes at which point the shield will disappear.

I think this may answer your Autorun question:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora- ... 00558.html