Help With Bind

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Post Reply
Griffin518
user
user
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:43 pm
Contact:

Help With Bind

Post by Griffin518 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:41 pm

Hi everyone... I'm hoping someone can help me out on this, as I'm stuck and going crazy.

I decided to change my address range from 192.168.0.0/24 to 192.168.1.0/24, and thought that I made only those changes. Now I'm able to correctly resolve hostnames, but a reverse lookup fails. I'm running FC4 fully patched, SELinux disabled, and IPTables turned off. Any help would be MUCH appreciated. Something tells me I'm over looking a trailing period somewhere, but I'm just missing it. Thanks in advance!

Here's my named.conf:

Code: Select all

//
// named.conf for Red Hat caching-nameserver
//

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        dump-file "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
        /*
         * If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
         * to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
         * directive below.  Previous versions of BIND always asked
         * questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
         * port by default.
         */
         query-source address * port 53;
};

controls {
        inet 127.0.0.1 allow { localhost; } keys { rndckey; };
};

zone "." IN {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};

zone "localhost" IN {
        type master;
        file "localhost.zone";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "named.local";
        allow-update { none; };
};

zone "home.com" IN {
        type master;
        file "home.com.zone";
        allow-update { localhost; };
};

zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "192.168.1.rev";
        allow-update { localhost; };
};

include "/etc/rndc.key";
Here's my reverse zone file:

Code: Select all

$ORIGIN .
$TTL 259200     ; 3 days
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa  IN SOA  server.home.com. root.server.home.com. (
                                1 ; serial
                                3600 ; refresh (1 hour)
                                900 ; retry (15 minutes)
                                604800 ; expire (1 week)
                                3600 ; minimum (1 hour)
                                )
                        NS      server.home.com.
$ORIGIN 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
$TTL 259200      ; 3 days
1                       PTR     router.home.com.
2                       PTR     office.home.com.
3                       PTR     laptop.home.com.
4                       PTR     tivo.home.com.
100                     PTR     server.home.com.
101                     PTR     external.home.com.
                        PTR     www.home.com.
                        PTR     mail.home.com.
$TTL 600        ; 10 minutes

User avatar
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5712
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:24 am
Location: Tuxville, USA
Contact:

Post by Void Main » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:55 pm

You did rename your reverse zone file to "192.168.1.rev" right? Are there any named related error messages near the end of /var/log/messages after restarting the named service?

Griffin518
user
user
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:43 pm
Contact:

Post by Griffin518 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:45 pm

Void Main wrote:You did rename your reverse zone file to "192.168.1.rev" right? Are there any named related error messages near the end of /var/log/messages after restarting the named service?
I caught it right after I posted... apparently copying the original file didn't maintain the ownership. Changing it back to named:named solved the problem.

Thanks for the effort!

User avatar
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5712
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 5:24 am
Location: Tuxville, USA
Contact:

Post by Void Main » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:04 pm

Yeah, adding the "-a" switch to "cp" will copy all the permissions/ownership along with the file. Of course a "mv" would have just renamed it and kept the ownership/permissions as well. :)

Griffin518
user
user
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:43 pm
Contact:

Post by Griffin518 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:24 pm

Void Main wrote:Yeah, adding the "-a" switch to "cp" will copy all the permissions/ownership along with the file. Of course a "mv" would have just renamed it and kept the ownership/permissions as well. :)
Or a "-p" :) I thought I had done that, but I guess not. Thanks for the thought. I didn't want to move it, so that I'd have a usable original in case something went awry.

Post Reply