FC4 and udev?

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
dishawjp
administrator
administrator

FC4 and udev?

Post by dishawjp » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:44 pm

Hi All,

It's been a while, but I am having a little problem with my FC4 install. I have an external modem that I have to use to dial in to work with using minicom from time to time. Since I was having issues with it in FC4, I was either rebooting to FC3 or just recreating the symlink.

I've googled this a bit and it seems that I have to create a file in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory but I haven't found any clear (as in understandable for the computer illiterate) directions on exactly how to create that file. All I need is to not lose the symlink when rebooting:

ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/modem

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Jim Dishaw

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:11 am

Instead of using the "modem" symlink, just point minicom to /dev/ttyS0 directly.

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Post by dishawjp » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:50 pm

Instead of using the "modem" symlink, just point minicom to /dev/ttyS0 directly.
Voidmain,

If I always did the logical, simple or obvious thing... Well I guess it's just not my way :-)

BTW, using ttyS0 works perfectly. For some reason I had problems with it earlier and that's when I went to /dev/modem and then created the symlink. Most likely I had typed "ttySO" in instead of "ttyS0" when setting minicom up. It wouldn't have been the first time I did something that stupid.

As always, thanks!

Jim