flashiness

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
worker201
guru
guru

flashiness

Post by worker201 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:23 pm

I was having a problem on my computer running Flash content. It didn't work correctly in Firefox, Mozilla, or SeaMonkey - would only halfway display any content. Flash wouldn't work at all in Opera. I've been going nuts for the past few days, and I think I have finally figured it out. This may apply to other distros of Linux, and it might help you as it helped me.

I had the following packages installed via Smart (from applications\internet):
firefox-1.0.7-1.1
mozilla-1.7.12-1.5.1
mozilla-flash-7.0.61-1.2
mozilla-swfdec-0.3.5-1.2
Plus Opera installed by rpm

Well, the first thing I did was google like a maniac for untold hours, to no avail. Next, I removed the mozilla-flash package, which disabled Flash period. Next, I attempted to install Flash by hand, using the Macromedia installers. Again, we have the same incorrect functionality as with the package. Conclusion - the mozilla-flash package is okay.

So I went ahead and uninstalled every reference to Flash I could find, and did a few more hours of googling. Nothing. Finally, I decided that I would start removing and reinstalling packages to see which ones had an effect. First, was mozilla-swfdec. After removing that package, Flash could be installed, and worked perfectly in all 4 browsers. Conclusion - the mozilla-swfdec package is screwy.

According to my information, the swfdec package is supposed to be some sort of Shockwave content plugin, of which there is no Linux version. However, in retrospect, it wasn't very good. Instead of seeing the missing plugin placeholder, I would just see white space. Great package :roll: I do hope that someday there is a Shockwave player for Linux. Until then, I will not be using any fudgy substitutes.

If you're having trouble displaying Flash content, take a look at your package list. You may find you are in the same boat as me.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:57 pm

Interesting. I don't even have mozilla-flash installed. I use the flash player/plugin from the Macromedia site which works fine. I assume the mozilla-flash is just that rewrapped in a Mozilla RPM or is there now an open source version of the flash player? If so I'm switching to it.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:14 pm

No, it's just a package of the proprietary player. If you look, the package contents are the exact same as the files that get downloaded straight from Macromedia. Even the doc stuff that gets put into /share.

However, I was curious to notice this during my whirlwind of googling:
http://gplflash.sourceforge.net/

Who knows what could come out of this? I would support an open source player. I might even donate to a really good open source Shockwave player.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:34 pm

The only problem I have with flash and have had this problem with it from day one, no matter if it's closed source or a 3rd party open source player is that Macromedia controls the file format. If Macromedia doesn't want anyone else to release a good open source player all they have to do is change the format and pump out a new version. It's the same thing with Microsoft docoment formats. You're always playing "catch up". At least Macromedia does release the format specs for the current version. I would like to see a completely open standard format with good players and plugins. I know there is SVG but it doesn't seem to be taking over anytime soon. Here is another home for several open source swf projects:

http://osflash.org/

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:31 pm

The way it works in Linux is - if you want something done right, do it yourself. I guess the reason nobody has put a whole lot of work into SVG is that Flash seems to work just fine for everyone. But the future of Flash for Linux will never be guaranteed. Already, v8 is available for Windows and OSX. How long until Flash is available for Linux? Who knows, could be forever.

As you can see from this recent Mozilla poll:
http://www.mozillazine.org/poll_results.html?id=7750
SVG may be in strong demand soon, and we might see better support for it.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:47 pm

I hope so. That looks promising.

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:03 am

worker201 wrote: Already, v8 is available for Windows and OSX. How long until Flash is available for Linux? Who knows, could be forever.
Their will not be an 8.0 version for Linux.
Linux support will restart from 8.5 (the next version):
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/webfo ... 49#3884780

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:54 pm

http://macromedia.mplug.org/site_uh.html

Noob here and I am still not getting this flash player installed...