FC4 APT Package?

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

FC4 APT Package?

Post by ZiaTioN » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:05 am

Does anyone know where I can get an apt package for FC4? I have looked on dag and they do not have one and freshrpms has a "non-preconfigured" source build I guess it is.

I forget where I got mine from now but I run apt on my FC4 box so I am not sure what the deal is.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:21 am

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:50 pm

I think I have heard that RedHat/Fedora was deprecating apt in favor of yum. Is this true? I have been using yum thru Smart for awhile, and it seems pretty good. So I guess any sort of transition will be painless.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:24 pm

RedHat and Fedora never did use apt officially. Their official one has always been yum. I just refuse to use yum and prefer to use apt. I still think it was a complete waste of time developing YUM when there was already a perfectly good package resolver in apt and it had already been in use by many many distros for a long period of time. The day the apt repositories go is the day I quit using Fedora.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:30 pm

The day the apt repositories go is the day I quit using apt. LOL..

I am a sellout, what can I say! I just am not that "into" any one package manager to abandon an entire distro over. If it works and works good, I have no issues using it. I generally used apt in the past because I have always been under the impression that the apt repos are more robust than any others. If this starts to change I will have to abandon apt I guess.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:34 pm

well, for my money i agree with every word that void main said!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:35 pm

I will be using Debian fully instead of partially. In fact I often wonder why I even mess with Fedora now. :) As you can see I was big on apt for RPM back on Red Hat 8 and even had written a popular howto on it at the time:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/redhat/re ... _have.html

This was long before yum became part of the distro. I was just dumbfounded why they decided they needed a new resolver when apt was so mature and does nearly the exact same thing they came up with. It's like reinventing the wheel.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:38 pm

Void Main wrote:
I will be using Debian fully instead of partially
I will be watching this thread!!! :twisted:

In fact, moving to Debian was the second best thing that happened to me, pc-related that is ..., the best one being Void Main getting me running on Red Hat instead of Windows! :wink:
Still waiting for the first serious screw-up!

My wife is still running FC4 and almost every time I do an apt-get update/dist-upgrade there's something broken, one time it's the stupid tetris game, the other time it's arts, then it's amarok, it's little things but they bug the hell out of her, and after that out of me when I have to fix it :lol:

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:44 am

i never notice any of that when i do an apt upgrade. i think i have had one conflict related to apt in the last year. however, i don't use a lot of the stuff it sounds like you might have on that computer, so there's no way my tetris or arts are going to be broken, or if they are, i will never know it.

debian is good, ironically it was the configuration of apt that kept allowing me to hose my system, which made me return to fedora (via suse) after trying out debian for a while.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:19 pm

well, speak of the devil and all that. my most recent apt-get upgrade left me with a considerable seize up just prior to the gdm login screen. the screen would show a black and white grid, and ctrl-alt-f1 took 4 or 5 minutes to work. then, simply going back to f7 sorted the problem. Nonetheless, i was not entirely satisfied with this in the long term.

so, simply apt-get remove-ing gdm and then apt-get installing it again has fixed the problem. apt giveth and apt taketh away...