JavaScript????

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
edwardsen35
user
user

JavaScript????

Post by edwardsen35 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:19 am

I'm in college and my school has a couple of websites. One of their websites is: http://echo.lemoyne.edu. When I go to the website all I see is a message that says: "You must have JavaScript Enabled To properly view this site."

I didn't have Java installed on my machine so I went to sun and downloaded/installed the latest version. I went back to http://echo.lemoyne.edu and I still got that message that says: "You must have JavaScript Enabled To properly view this site." I thought that java wasn't installed correctly so I went back to the sun website. I checked to see if java was working and it was. There was a message on the screen that said: "Congratulations! You have the current version of Java software, and access to all the best the web has to offer."

Then, I thought that there might be an option that I have to turn on so that I enable JavaScript. I searched sun's website and all I found out is that when you create an applet you have to turn JavaScript on because it is turned off by default. I didn't find anything that said that the user had to turn it on. Anybody have any ideas or should I contact sun?

I am running Mozilla 1.0.1 and Java: j2re-1_4_1_01.

The reason that I want to go to this site is because from this site you can check your account balance. I reciently quit baseball and I'm worried that they might take my scholarship away. http://www.syracuse.com/localcolleges/p ... 286731.xml

Thank You,

-edwardsen35

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:31 am

You need to make a symlink in the mozilla plugins directory to /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so.

*Do not* copy the plugin, make sure to symlink it.

edwardsen35
user
user

Post by edwardsen35 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 9:57 am

I did that already.

I am able to run Java applets but when I go to that website (http://echo.lemoyne.edu) I get that error message "You must have JavaScript Enabled To properly view this site"

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Mar 02, 2003 1:44 pm

Java and JavaScript are not related in any way. J2RE is Java, not JavaScript. JavaScript is built into most modern browsers and is usually enabled by default unless you specify otherwise. In Mozilla, this is enabled/disabled in the Edit->Preferences menu under Advanced->Scripts&Plugins. If you have JavaScript enabled and you still get that message then tell your school their site sucks and they need to fix it. And it apparently does suck because I just went there and it told me the same thing. I changed my user agent string and it worked and took me here:

http://echo.lemoyne.edu/start/main.asp

So what they really mean by "You must have JavaScript Enabled To properly view this site" is "we are idiots and we do not know how to build a web site".

edwardsen35
user
user

Post by edwardsen35 » Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:43 pm

I checked my browser to see if I had JavaScript enabled; I did. I'm not surprised that you think that the web site sucks. I think that the IT department at my school sucks.

This is my understanding of why the website wasn't working, correct me if I'm wrong...LeMoyne has the website set up so that you have to have a certain version of IE or Netscape. You then changed your user-agent string to pretend that you were a different browser and you were able to access the web site. What I don't understand is why I was able to access the website at http://echo.lemoyne.edu/start/main.asp and not at http://echo.lemoyne.edu/?

On a side note...I was building a database for my baseball coach for his baseball camps. He was keeping track of the campers with an excel file. I told him that I would build a database so that it was much easier to keep track of the campers. I also was taking a VB class so I decided to create a program to sit on top of the database to provide a nice user interface. At my school we run Novel Netware which doesn't allow you to write to the hard drive. Since I'm not able to write to the hard drive, I wasn't able to compile my program. I wrote to the IT department and asked them to change my permissions so that I could compile the program. They told me to send them my program and they would see what they could do. Well I wrote to them numerous times and they kept on telling me that they would get back to me. It has been about a month and they still haven't changed my permissions. Therefore if I tell them that their website sucks and they need to change it, I doubt that they will.

I had no idea what you were talking about when you said that you changed your "user-agent string." I went on the web see what the heck it is. I discovered what it is and what it does but I don't know how to change it. How do you change it?

Thank You!

-edwardsen35

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:19 pm

You want the mozilla prefbar, you can get this at www.xulplanet.com

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sun Mar 02, 2003 8:01 pm

Yes, as Tux said get the prefbar for Mozilla. It will let you change your user agent. And yes you are correct about your interperetation. The error message that they display is not valid. On the main site URL they check to see if you have certain browser and if you do redirect you to another page. If you do not have that certain browser they tell you that you don't have JavaScript enabled which is not true. As you can see if you go directly to the page it would have redirected you to you have no problems viewing it. They should update/fix the main page to allow Mozilla or change the error message to something more accurate like "We are nazis and only allow IE, go away".

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:41 am

i had to go and view microsoft.com for a university assignment i am writing where i compare it to another site in terms of unbiasedness, ease of use et c and you know what? microsoft.com hangs a lot and takes ages to load pages if you have your prefbar set to netscape 6.2 on linux, but it works really fast if you set it to IE6 on windows XP. regardless of the fact that both are mozilla 1.3b.

sites should not be physically allowed to discriminate on the basis of browser choice in my opinion. it should just not be possible to code a site in such a way. whoever thought of it was a dickhead.

edwardsen35
user
user

Post by edwardsen35 » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:03 pm

I went ahead and installed prefbar for Mozilla. It works well.

However, I was having some problems installing it. When I was trying to install it I wasn't logged on as root. If anybody else decides to install it, be sure to be logged in as root.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Mar 14, 2003 6:54 am

i have had countless problems installing the prefbar (and some mozilla skins) in mandrake. even as root. even following the instructions exactly, and copying prefbar.rdf to the right place et c. i seem to remember it working fine in red hat though, which really pisses me off. why won't it work in mandrake?

bazoukas
programmer
programmer

Post by bazoukas » Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:11 am

Void is so right, its not even funny.

Here try this site from my school.
http://www.westwoodcollege.com/

It seems like the person who made the site had more brains than the fscking teachers the administration has hired.

Wanna hear a funny story?

The programming head nacho instructor wants to take out the Linux admin class from the major.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idiots everywhere,,,,i swear am gonna shoot my self on the head one of these days and am dead serious about this.

Doogee
administrator
administrator

Post by Doogee » Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:27 am

lets threaten mass suicide unless the whole world meets our demands ( no more M$ )

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:49 am

Doogee wrote:lets threaten mass suicide unless the whole world meets our demands ( no more M$ )
Whatever floats your boat. I would rather threaten (and follow through with) a complete boycott of M$ software, which I actually started over a year ago. I don't believe I've touched a piece of M$ software since then.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:10 am

i have certainly never paid for any microsoft software in a long time, and i do not use software that i don't have a legal right to use, does that count?

i can't claim to be microsoft free though sadly, not 100%.