Fedora Core 5

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:40 am

Unfortunately, I don't have any extra 19" fp's but I do have an extra 24" FP wide format and also have three 17" fp laying around but those are only analog. But anywho...
It did work on FC 4 before. In fact I put my old machine back up because I became spoiled with two screens...I have other projects I need to do like find an open-source collaboration site that we can share project documents with outside companies, but that will be a different thread. I am going to try and put the FC 5 box back online and see if I can try it on my spare time...(when ever that may be)

Do you think copying my xorg.conf from the working FC4 box to the FC5 box would screw anything up? They looked pretty close to being the same, minus the dual monitor config part

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:50 am

What do you mean by non-analog? As you can tell I'm not up on video technology. My 6600GT has dual DVI ports, that won't work? Regarding your xorg.conf, you should be able to copy the relevent section over.

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:59 am

The 17's are VGA only...but that is irrelavent to this thread..:) The nVidia card in my FC5 box has only DVI ports. I am going to try and mess with it some more today but I need to find a solution for our FTP site that is getting out of control

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:23 am

I was kidding about the flat panels (although it would be nice to have one or two). I have VGA->DVI adapters that came with my card so I plug my regular 19" monitor into that. What's up with your FTP site? Start a new thread on that one and maybe we can come up with something...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:45 pm

Yeah, Xen works for me in FC5! Here's a nice doc:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstartFC5

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:21 pm

I had downloaded the DVD in addition to the CDs and created my local "os" apt repository from the DVD. Yesterday I did did an "apt-get install kernel-devel" so I could build the nVidia driver on a machine. To my surprise it pulled that RPM from my repo and didn't have to get it off the net. It seems the kernel-devel packages are included on the DVD but not on the CD distribution. It seems odd that both media would not contain the same packages. Oh well, just an FYI.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:37 pm

I had a problem with flash not showing any text at all in Firefox 1.5 on FC5. I found some directories have changed and you need to create some symbolic links if you run into the same thing. You can get the flash plugin from here:

http://macromedia.mplug.org/

Then if you have a problem with fonts do this:

Code: Select all

# cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
# ln -s /etc/X11/* .
If the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11 directory does not exist, create it first.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:14 am

Well I installed FC5 on my laptop (I fixed the ACPI bug, which was indeed, a dead beatle on my motherboard, so it was quite a bug).

I am quite liking it, wasn't hard (for me) to install a driver for my wireless card, build a kernel, and setup wifi. I am later going to set up WPA, because at the moment its running insecure. (In the future I am planning on keeping it insecure and running my wireless router to a machine that will just do VPN if you want to get to the rest of the network).

Only one thing is disappointing, I couldnt find fortune under yum, so I had to install the RPM manually.