Replace FTP? - Need Suggestions

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
byrdman
administrator
administrator

Replace FTP? - Need Suggestions

Post by byrdman » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:42 am

I am posting this because hopefully all the smart people out there will be able to help me. You see, I have this ftp site that is running vsftp. Pretty simple setup that chroots users to their '/home/username'. This was originally set up so our company could share files with outside clients and customers. We are a design/build, archetiture firm that transfers large files all the time - and lots of them at a time. So my ftp site, has exploded into a necessity when a construction project starts. Problem is, I am the only one that knows my ftp site and my helpdesk guys only know how to create users. I had a script made that lets them ssh in and type a simple 'sudo addftp {username} {password}' - anywho--back to the problem. Because it is so big, administration has fallen on me and I don't like it. So here is what I am hoping someone could suggest for me...a open-source package that will let my users create a document sharing site that they could administer. I have looked at open-xchange, but that seems way to much for what I need. I want it so once our project admins are assigned a construction job, they would go in and create folders for the bidders and designers. the bidders would just be able to download, and the designers could upload and download.
A document sharing site where our project team (which includes people from outside companies) can share these large documents. Also has to be able to upload and download multiple files at a time. Is this enough explaination?

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:38 pm

I have not had any suggestions regarding my previous post. I hate to say it by of all my research I have done in the last couple of days I have found that SharePoint is my best solution...what? Did I just say that out loud? Well, I have to look out for the best of my company and if anyone knows of an 'open-source' solution to SharePoint, then I will be all over it, until then, this package seems to be the front runner....PLEASE HELP!!! I don't want to put a M$ product in our DMZ!!!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:57 pm

Ewww, you are twisted! :) Sorry I haven't had time to look into it. I had full intentions of doing so but I have been busier than a 3 legged cat trying to cover crap on a marble floor.

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:49 pm

Luckily for me, the Sharepoint thing will not work out. did not mean to scare you!! :)

kovax
scripter
scripter

NOOOOO

Post by kovax » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:36 pm

$harepoint is a bad word round these parts.