Shrinking LVM from rescue mode

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
X11
guru
guru

Shrinking LVM from rescue mode

Post by X11 » Tue May 02, 2006 12:14 pm

Hey,

I want to shrink my install and the volume from the commandline on the rescue, only I have two problems

1) I dont know the command to shrink the lvm volume, I thought it would be lvshrink, but lvshrink doesnt seem to be on the disk, just 'lvm'.

2) My volume doesnt show up under /dev/mapper which makes it, a lot more difficult.

Some help would be great.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue May 02, 2006 2:14 pm

I wrote a TIP on how to do this a while back:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/redhat/fe ... olume.html

The "lvm" command is all you need as all of the other commands (pvscan, lvscan, lvchange, vgextend etc, etc) are just symbolic links to the lvm command. Just insert "lvm" in front of the commands in my tip and it should work. For instance instead of "pvscan" you would use "lvm pvscan", etc.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Mon May 15, 2006 4:07 am

Odd when I try to do the "vgreduce VolGroup00 /dev/hda2" bit it just says "Physical volume "/dev/hda2" still in use". :(

Other than that the resize is fine, it boots etc and yeah.

X11
guru
guru

Post by X11 » Mon May 15, 2006 4:40 am

nevermind thats stupid

I want to shrink the volume group, so I have space for another physical primary partition, i cant work that out.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon May 15, 2006 8:27 am

Did you perform all the steps in my tip? There are things you have to do before the step you are referring to (resize2fs, lvreduce) and you didn't indicated if any of that was successful. That is, you have to shrink the things inside of the volume group before you can shrink the volume group. Look over my tip again starting near the bottom where the instructions are in a red box reversing what I had done in the first part of the tip:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/redhat/fe ... olume.html

Obvioulsy your numbers won't match the ones in my tip. Copy and paste all your commands into a message here and include a copy of your partition table and outputs from your vgdisplay, lvdisplay, pvdisplay, and fdisk -l.