Dual Monitors

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
kovax
scripter
scripter

Dual Monitors

Post by kovax » Tue May 23, 2006 8:38 am

Has anyone sucessfully configured Linux with Dual monitors? I have seen some papers for Mandrake but none for RH9.
I would like to use two PCI video cards and two monitors.

Thanks

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue May 23, 2006 8:50 am

I have run dual head on a version of Red Hat around that release (may have been RH8 or 7.x though). That was with a single card capable of 4 monitors though (if I recall it was a Matrox card). However, running multiple supported cards should actually be easier or just as easy as running a single dual head capable card. Also byrdman is running dual monitors on his GeForce card and my GeForce card at home is capable of dual monitors but I have never hooked two up to it. byrdman was running Fedora Core 4 and now Fedora Core 5 though with the nVidia drivers on Xorg.

It really isn't that hard to do though, just search google for "linux dual head" and you'll find a wealth of information. Also keep in mind there are a couple of ways to configure things. You can have one logical desktop that spans both monitors or you can individualize them (I actually ran a different window manager on each monitor in the setup I did). In fact on the newer Fedora releases you should be able to configure it right from the GUI:

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/014dec05 ... multihead/