laptop suspending to disk

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Master of Reality
guru
guru

laptop suspending to disk

Post by Master of Reality » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:34 pm

Most of the time when i suspend to disk it wakes up perfectly fine, but occasionally it will just sit there with the "_" at the corner of the blank screen.

I end up having to shut off the laptop and turn it back on to make it boot normally. Any ideas as to why this happens?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:52 pm

I never have gotten suspend to disk working perfectly and reliably. There has always been some quirk that caused me not to use it. I just do a normal shutdown when I'm done using my laptop. I know that doesn't answer your question but just adding my experiences. Of course I never have tried in in FC5, maybe it works better. I had X issues when coming out of a suspend to disk the last time I gave up on it. It's also very hardware dependent as to how many problems you might have from my experience.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:13 am

I have the suspend to disk working perfectly so far on my dell inspirion 8000 but it is running suse 10.1 .. jsut as an FYI that it works somewhere ..

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:00 am

hmmm, this is an acer aspire. I already know suspend to ram doesnt work.

WHen at school i sometimes have to turn it off and on a few times, so im gonna stick with suspend to disk because it works most of the time.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:24 am

Actually, I just remembered my primary reason for not using suspend to disk at the moment. It's not because it doesn't work but because my primary laptop I use both at work and at home. I take it home every night and use it there after work. The problem is, at work I am docked, have a different monitor, different network interfaces, etc. At home I use the LCD and a wireless card. So, I have 2 different xorg.conf files and depending on whether I am on the network at work or at home as to which xorg.conf gets loaded. Well, if I suspend at work, X is running at 1600x1200 and my LCD obviously isn't capable of that so I would at minimum have to restart X. It's almost pointless if I have to do that so I just do a normal shutdown. Everything comes up properly that way and it isn't a big deal for me. I have a ritual I go through when I get home. First thing I do is plug the laptop in and start it booting, then I go get out of my monkey suit and by the time I get back to the laptop everything is up and going.