FC5 Install Java

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
moto526
scripter
scripter

FC5 Install Java

Post by moto526 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:37 pm

I need some help installing Java...

I have the current rpm.bin file on my desktop but I can't get it in, any help? Thanks!

This is what I have been trying to use.
Install Java J2RE and Mozilla Plug-in
It's also very handy to have the Java run-time environment available and most importantly a Mozilla plug-in so you can view dynamic content. It's unfortunate that Mozilla will actually crash if you go to a site containing Java and you don't have the plug-in installed.

For now there is no easy way to do this but I found the following instructions on FedoraForums.org. Basically, start by downloading the JRE 5.0 Update 6 (at the time I wrote this) from Sun.com. You'll want to grab the Linux RPM in self-extracting file. Then you want to install it with:

# chmod +x jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586-rpm.bin
# ./jre-1_5_0_06-linux-i586-rpm.bin

Then you'll probably want to enable Java Plug-ins and here once again there is no easy way:

# ln -s /usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins

And finally you'll need to tell Fedora that you wish to use this version of Java as the preferred interpreter rather than the Open Source version that's installed by default. You'll of course need to adjust the full pathname if you install a newer version of the jre than the one in this example:

# /usr/sbin/alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/java/jre1.5.0_06/bin/java 1506
# java -version
java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

If you know of an easier way please post it to the Comments section below.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:47 am

Did you follow the first two instructions starting with the "chmod" command? Were they successful or unsuccessful? If unsuccessful can you copy/paste the output into a message in this thread? If they were successful, where exactly did things go wrong? The third command (ln) creates a symbolic link to the Java plugin in your browser's plugins directories. If all 3 steps were successful you should be able to put "about:plugins" in the location bar of Firefox/Mozilla and see the Java plugin information. The more details around "can't get it in" you can provide the easier it will be to help you.

P.S. The "#" in those commands indicate the shell prompt when you are logged in (su'd) to the root user. You should not type the "#". If you are not at a shell prompt that shows a "#" then open a terminal and type "su -" where it should ask you for root's password. After successfully typing that in you should see the "#" prompt. Now, before typing those commands the *.bin file must be in the same directory you are in (well not really, but for this example they must). If you downloaded the file to your desktop you would first have to chand directory into your desktop:

# cd /home/yourusername/Desktop

where "yourusername" is the username of the user who's desktop the file is downloaded to.

You can tell which directory you are currently in by typing:

# pwd

You can list the files in the current directory by typing:

# ls -l

The above command is similar to "dir" in DOS/Windows.

Again, the "#" is root's prompt, don't type this where you see it above, just the commands following it. I know this will seem difficult until you learn the basics but it really does get very very easy in short order.

You might want to spend 30 minutes on a basic introduction to the Linux command line (shell). It will be a great investment. There are millions of tutorials out there. Here looks like a very basic and simple one:

http://www.physics.ubc.ca/mbelab/comput ... ntro/html/

moto526
scripter
scripter

Post by moto526 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:33 pm

Thanks Void!! Got it...

FYI: I am setting up another maching with SUSE right now... This is fun!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:07 pm

Good luck sir!