Fresh RPM's endorses yum over apt?

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Fresh RPM's endorses yum over apt?

Post by ZiaTioN » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:03 pm

Directly quoted from the Fresh RPM's Apt page.
Please note that these apt pages are obsolete. They were written in the days when yum didn't yet exist, when apt was the only decent dependency tool for rpm around. This has changed, you should really prefer yum over apt for rpm which is now unmaintained.
Is apt-get going by the way side? I just setup a FC4 lappy today at work and due to this note, decided to try yum to update the system and I have got to say, it was very nice. Any thoughts on this?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:12 pm

yum sucks. apt rules!

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:30 am

i cant understand why you say yum sucks?
long time ago i tried that apt, but up to 90% it didnt find the things i wanted,
now with yum, whatever i try to install, it finds without any hassle with adding sources for it.

maybe i didnt use apt enuf to start loving it, i dont know

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:48 am

Basher52 wrote:i cant understand why you say yum sucks?
long time ago i tried that apt, but up to 90% it didnt find the things i wanted,
now with yum, whatever i try to install, it finds without any hassle with adding sources for it.
Which tools you use have absolutely no bearing on finding the packages you want. The *only* thing that has a bearing on that is what repositories you point those tools to. If the software is in the repsoitory the tool will find it. For every yum repo I know of there is an apt repository created from the same directory of RPMS. So if apt didn't find something that yum did find then you didn't have the same repositories listed in your apt configuration that you had in your yum configuration.

I have two major beefs with yum (and several smaller ones). The first is, there was absolutely no point in developing it in the first place when there was already a well established tool out there to perform the function (apt). apt was already a standard across all the debian based distros, why go off on a tangent? It's just stupid. Instead of working together they (Fedora) wants to go off on their own tangent and have their own ball. The second major thing I do not like about yum is it's name. I refuse to use a tool called "yum". :)

Also, I have my own apt repository of RPMS that can't (or couldn't at the time) be found anywhere else. I am not going to create a yum repository as well. If they ever drop support for apt then I will quit using Fedora and switch to Debian 100%.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:43 pm

i kinda like the smart package manager. Mostly because i set it up to use both yum and apt repos.

It also can be used for debian based distros (i think Ubuntu is switching to Smart from Adept)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:14 pm

Yeah, smart is a good way to go too. I did use it for a while but I did have a couple of issues with it but I don't remember exactly what those were at the moment. Initially I had a problem using it through a proxy but I did eventually get that sorted out.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:54 am

ah, thats why, i forgot the distro's, supid me huh lol

Void Main wrote:...The first is, there was absolutely no point in developing it in the first place when there was already a well established tool out there to perform the function (apt). apt was already a standard across all the debian based distros, why go off on a tangent? It's just stupid...
This i sure do agree with

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:55 am

i understand why void says yum sucks and apt rules. it's because apt rules and yum sucks.