Fedora Memcheck errors

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
insomnia
programmer
programmer

Fedora Memcheck errors

Post by insomnia » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:31 pm

Hi.
My brother just bought a new mobo since his original was totaly trashed.
After this, things just got worse (I simply can't install any OS anymore).
I used Fedora's Memcheck utility and it just keeps showing errors.
Does this simply means his ram is faulty?
Thing is, before replacing the mobo, their was no problem with it at all (2x 256).
Question:
Does this really mean the ram is broken, or could it be the result of other problems as well?
Last edited by insomnia on Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:19 pm

Bad memory can certainly cause the oddest of problems and if it's failing the memcheck program then I would certainly suspect it. Swapping memory out with known good memory is the easiest thing you can do trouble-shoot the problem. If you swap out the memory and the problem goes away you know it was bad memory, if it doesn't go away then the problem is somewhere else, likely the motherboard. Just borrow some memory out of another computer (if it's of a usable type for the machine of course).

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:33 pm

Swapping memory sadly didn't solve it. I did change something though, at boot-up it now only shows half the actual size(256).
Could this be bios related (and is flashing it really as dangerous as all those howtos tell you..., I would be less carefull if this was one of my own systems)?
Windows did install on that(only using half the mem) but not Debian or Fedora(he needs a dual boot).
It keeps complaining about corrupted base packages while installing on the HD(a plain 80gig Maxtor IDE drive). Not that this really mathers since I need to get his mem problem fixed anyway.
Any ideas?
Jens.

PS: I tried some CLI live-cds, but they all crash after trying to use any diagnostic tool...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:16 pm

I suggest placing the computer behind the rear tire of your car and then putting the car in reverse and backing up slowly. Now order one that works. :)

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:19 am

The memory you have is probably incompatible with the type of memory your new mobo is expecting. May be trying to use SDRAM in a DDR slot, ot may have ECC memory when ECC is not supported in the DIMM slot. Silly question, you are starting the memory sticks in DIMM slot 0 right? You have to use up your DIMM slots from slot 0 over, so if you have two stick, you can not put them in slot 1 and 2 and expect it to work with nothing in slot 0.

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:25 am

Void Main wrote:I suggest placing the computer behind the rear tire of your car and then putting the car in reverse and backing up slowly. Now order one that works. :)
lol
I'm driving a Fiat Abarth so I fear it will be harmed more than this evil CPU will ;)
So I guess I should take the bios flashing risc anyway...
I'm just a C/Lisp programmer and don't reallly know anything about new hardware(for some reason that makes people think you know everything about computing).
I just feel bad for recommending a new modo to my kid brother without any result.

This motherboard was actually tested without giving any problems.
Right now, flashing and updating it's bios seems to be the last thing I can do(I already tried all it's bios opions without any result)...

I'm sure the mem should be compatible with the mobo since it came with it and seems to be the default(I allready asked this on an ASUS mailing list) for it.
I tried others as well, that didn't work either.