[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - wireless troubleshooting

wireless troubleshooting

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat

wireless troubleshooting

Postby Master of Reality » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:50 am

Ive got a D-Link wireless router here with a 64bit HEX WEP key set, which i know.
The wireless is set as Open system and it is enabled on the router. I can see the network when i do "iwlist wlan0 scan" it comes up with the essid "Luke".

But when i try to connect with:
# iwconfig wlan0 essid Luke key xxxxxxxxxx
# dhclient wlan0
I never get a response from dhcpd on the router. I also tried a static IP (the router help page said i should be able to connect with it) and it didnt work.

So i took off encryption entirlely and tried to connect the same way and dhclient still didnt get a response.

Is there any more troubleshooting that i can do?
Master of Reality
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:22 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Master of Reality » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:44 am

the key is shown in the [1] slot, but after i do the # iwconfig wlan0 essid Luke key xxxxxxxxx
iwconfig still shows the access point being non-associated. Whats this mean?

Its not actually my router or network (im at a friends place or a few days), so im trying not to change many of their settings if possible.
Master of Reality
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:24 am

You have to be associated with the AP before anything else can happen. Something at the 802.11 level is wrong (SSID, channel, key, etc). Does "iwlist wlan0 ap" show the access point you want to connect to? How about "iwlist wlan0 scan"?
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Master of Reality » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:51 am

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:04 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Fedora/Red Hat