permissions

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
xyle_one
programmer
programmer

permissions

Post by xyle_one » Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:22 am

okay... i should probably just get a book and read it cover to cover... here it goes anyways..
i have my webserver running http://www.artformsdesign.com (nice, cheap advertising right there :) ) and i want to be able to just drag and drop the files into the /www/html/ecsyle folder. right now that folder belongs to root, is it okay to change that to belong to me??? it would also be nice to be able to setup an ftp account to upload files when im at work also and it seems that in order to do that, that folder should not belong to root.
thanks in advance...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Mar 05, 2003 7:22 am

I always change the permissions to a user other than root on /var/www/html and /var/www/cgi-bin.

# chown -R youruser:yourgroup /var/www/html /var/www/cgi-bin

And instead of using FTP I would use "ssh/scp" to transfer files to your server. If you are stuck on a Windows client you can use "putty/pscp" for command line copying or there is "winscp" for graphical (WU_FTP like) file transfers. FTP is not nearly as secure and far less flexible than ssh.

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:07 pm

thank you..

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:23 am

Void Main wrote:I always change the permissions to a user other than root on /var/www/html and /var/www/cgi-bin.

# chown -R youruser:yourgroup /var/www/html /var/www/cgi-bin

And instead of using FTP I would use "ssh/scp" to transfer files to your server. If you are stuck on a Windows client you can use "putty/pscp" for command line copying or there is "winscp" for graphical (WU_FTP like) file transfers. FTP is not nearly as secure and far less flexible than ssh.
hmm, are there any GNU/open source ftp and ssh clients for windows that you know of?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:26 am

Huh? Both of the ssh clients I linked to are for Windows and are open source. And there are many more than that, those are just the ones I believe to be the best. Of course I haven't used them in quite some time as I haven't used Windows in quite some time. You can find more at http://www.openssh.org/

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:54 am

i didn't realise they were open source! sorry boss! :D

thanks for correcting me. i'm paying attention to what stuff is open source and what isn't right now since i am writing webpages reviewing open source software in a bid to get people to start using it more.

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:12 am

i will not be working from windows, but some friends will be. i am perfectly content with transfering files from my mac to the server with samba. but i need to get like 3 people to upload their files to my server. ssh/scp is the way to go? cool. could anyone point me in the direction to a "dumbass-using-linux" tutorial/walkthrough to get me started. i googled, but came up short. maybe i will just take a trip to the bookstore today and actually get a good linux book. anyways. thanks for the help.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:30 pm

I believe this is the last Linux book I ever bought:

http://www.hbi.dmr.or.ir/amoozesh/books ... 309629.htm

As you can see it's a little outdated so I wouldn't recommend buying that one in particular. In fact, if I remember correctly, I didn't even buy it, a friend bought it and I just thumbed through it. It covers Red Hat 3.0. I didn't find much use for it but I know many people liked it. I'll bet the Red Hat 8.0 Unleashed is just as popular. The unleashed books include the Red Hat CDs.

As a matter of fact I don't remember actually buying any Linux books, ever. I've had several given to me (some of them autographed by the author). Another friend just bought a book off of Amazon called "Red Hat Linux 8.0 Server" and said he likes it. He's a complete n00b and I haven't actually looked at it so I don't know how good it might be.

I'm sorry, this was a completely useless post. :)
Last edited by Void Main on Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:44 pm

I'm sorry, this was a completely useless post. :)
not really. i should get a book. it would be a wise decision. today.

xyle_one
programmer
programmer

Post by xyle_one » Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:30 pm

okay, it took me a few days, but i found a copy of "Red Hat Linux 8 Unleashed" for like $30. so, tonight i geek out.. fun