MPlayer subtitle size

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
insomnia
programmer
programmer

MPlayer subtitle size

Post by insomnia » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:14 pm

How do you change the default subtile size in MPlayer (srt)?
I only found how to change them from the CLI (but not permanent). Is their any way to set new defaults?

Thanks.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:13 pm

What parameters are you using on the command line to get what you want? Can't you put those options in your ~/.mplayer/config? For example, if you used the "-dumpsrtsub" on the command line you could put it in your ~/.mplayer/config as:

Code: Select all

dumpsrtsub='yes'

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:40 am

Well, it seems I was wrong from the beginning. It doesn't change anything from the cl either . I overlooked this since it did play (but without scaling the subtitles).
Void Main wrote:What parameters are you using on the command line to get what you want?
−subfont-text-scale=7 (This used to work in the past. I never tried it with Fedora though.)

Since scaling(−subfont-text-scale) only seems to be possible with FreeType fonts (according to the MPlayer manual) I looked for its config file (~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf) and it doesn't seem to exist (I did have it with older versions) :s

So... could this be my problem?
And if so, should I simply create this file manually (and can I just copy some .ttf fonts in here)?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:08 pm

I would think you would just put this in your ~/.mplayer/config
subfont-text-scale=7
and of course your MPlayer would have to be compiled with freetype support. Where did you get your copy of MPlayer? What's the full RPM name?

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:48 pm

Void Main wrote:I would think you would just put this in your ~/.mplayer/config
subfont-text-scale=7
and of course your MPlayer would have to be compiled with freetype support. Where did you get your copy of MPlayer? What's the full RPM name?
Didn't work.
I use the Dries and Freshrpms repos (and take some packages from the extra repo to resolve dependencies). MPlayer came from the Freshhrpms or Dries repo though, I don't have extra and Livna in my sources list.
I googled some more on this and only found the same results. It seems you do need "~/.mplayer/subfont.ttf" (I just don't really know how it should be like).

Would installing MPlayer from source solve that(and how can I add the freetype support)?
I don't really like the idea of doing source installations on an RPM distro (I probably could install it in a different directory and use both tho. I do need the rpm package for easy dependencies and updating).

EDIT; After reading my logs it seems I once did a yum update(I normally only use apt) with the extra repo enabled. My current MPlayer package is 1.0-0.28.pre8.fc5.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:42 pm

Ahh, subfont.ttf is just a truetype font file. You can copy any *.ttf file to that name in your ~/.mplayer directory and it should work. I would suggest symbolic linking that name to whatever font you want to use. I think that parameter in your config file will work once you have a font file installed.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:31 pm

Ok, I figured it out (now that I am home and have a DVD to test with). Here's what I put in my ~/.mplayer/config:

Code: Select all

font=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/comic.ttf
subfont-text-scale=7
You may not have any truetype fonts installed where I installed mine but just put the font= line to point to a ttf font file whereever it exists. You can also put your other options in the config. It was all in the man page actually.

EDIT: This does not work with the GUI (gmplayer) and only seems to work with mplayer on the command line. Haven't figured out why but I do see other people complain about it. I'm going out on a limb and will say the version we have installed is broken.

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:50 pm

Thanks!!! :D
I already figured out how to use the "font=" option, but didn't know about that gmplayer problem(displays everything at minimal size).
Instead of just trying it from the command line, I sadly just spent about 4 hours trying(and combining) about all subtitle(and font) related options from the MPlayers docs (I kept starting all movies in GNOME) :?
It works indeed perfect from the command line.
"subfont-text-scale=7" was actually way to big for my TV, so I'm using "subfont-text-scale=3.5":
font=/usr/share/fonts/bitstream-vera/Vera.ttf
subfont-text-scale=3.5
I'm trying out some very nice other options as well.

Geusts with less good eyes can finally enjoy my movies as well :)
Thanks again,
Jens.