Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fedora Core 6

Post by Void Main » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:34 am

Fedora Core 6 Test 2 is out:
http://fedoranews.org/cms/node/1437

Which means Fedora Core 4 has gone into maintenance mode and FC1 and FC2 are end-of-life:
http://fedoranews.org/cms/node/1438
http://fedoranews.org/cms/node/1439

You will now have to get your FC4 updates from http://fedoralegacy.org/

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:59 pm

Guess it's about time for me to upgrade to FC5. :oops:

Refresher question: can I upgrade only the OS? I have a lot of stuff that lives in /usr/local, and I would hate to lose it. I have the FC5 disk burned, I just haven't taken the time to do the update yet.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:48 pm

Ditto...I'm still on 4 with 5 dvd at the ready

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:57 pm

cant you do a dist-upgrade with yum or apt or smart?

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:33 pm

Master of Reality wrote:cant you do a dist-upgrade with yum or apt or smart?
I tried that once with Yum and it went horrible. Yum is just horrible with dependencies. It installed insanely much unneeded and conflicting packages.

With Apt I had about zero problems (I only had to reconfigure X). I did need packages from the extras repo since some packages seemed to be replaced from the main fedora repo to extras.

PS: My "apt" updated system works better at this moment than a fresh cd install using it's default yum to update everything. Yum also installed (again) more packages as on my other (apt) box using the same repos. Yum is just driving me nuts.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:30 pm

You can do an upgrade from CD/DVD and it should go very smoothly. I have never had a problem. The only thing that you would have a problem with is any 3rd party modules that you might have (nVidia, VMware, NTFS, etc).

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:53 am

The upgrade from dvd did go very smoothly. Took a very long time, but everything seems to be just fine now.

Had a little scare at the start: turned out the dvd labeled FC5 was something else entirely, so I had to go download and burn a fresh one. No worries now, though.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:07 pm

worker201 wrote:The upgrade from dvd did go very smoothly. Took a very long time, but everything seems to be just fine now.
Yeah, this is extremely annoying to me. I have no idea what makes it take so long now where it used to take 10 minutes to do a fresh install and 15 minutes to do an upgrade. I also noticed on the CD version I don't think it's possible to install without inserting every single disk no matter how minimal of an install you are doing.

Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:13 am

how long are we talking about?
1 hour or 5, 6?

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:03 am

Simple upgrade, plus update 450 packages afterwards, seemed like it took over 2 hours.

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:40 pm

worker201 wrote:Simple upgrade, plus update 450 packages afterwards, seemed like it took over 2 hours.
Well, that's the disadvantage of using CDs. You first download and install the actual release and next you'll still have to update those same packages again.
While using apt can give more problems(Not always, an other benefit is that you can update the packages from your non official repos at the same time using apt.) it will cost you a lot less bandwide.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:13 am

In general I haven't heard good things about apt distro upgrades, which is why I continue to download the isos when there is a new release. It'd be a lot easier if I didn't wait so long before actually installing the dvd...

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:09 am

worker201 wrote:In general I haven't heard good things about apt distro upgrades, which is why I continue to download the isos when there is a new release. It'd be a lot easier if I didn't wait so long before actually installing the dvd...
The main difference is that doing an apt upgrade will not run all configuration tools again.
These are mostly X related. If you know how to do this manually, I don't see why a CD upgrade whould be less complicated.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:03 am

CD upgrades are far less complicated. I have done many upgrades using apt and all of them have had some sort of problems although I was able to get things sorted out in all cases. It is a very rare occurance that doing an upgrade from a booted installation CD causes problems. There are several threads here in the Red Hat forum (I believe most of the sticky threads) where I have posted how my upgrades went via apt, what went wrong, how to fix what went wrong, etc. I have never done an upgrade from FC4->FC5 via apt so I can't say how that might go. All I can say is doing an upgrade via apt seemed to get worse as the FC releases increased (RH8->RH9 wasn't bad, FC1->FC2 wasn't bad, then it got worse from there if I recall).

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:15 pm

Oh well... perhaps I was just lucky.

I also noticed (from your first link) that Anaconda now actually does seems to have an option for adding extra (yum-compatible) repos in FC6:
Notable Features of FC6 Test 2
* Ability to install from additional yum repositories during anaconda installations and kickstarts.
...would that make it possible to do a "net-upgrade" with anaconda using only the first CD?