Fedora Core 6

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Basher52
guru
guru

Post by Basher52 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:03 pm

Calum wrote:I think I will stick with FC4. i'll wait till it becomes "obsolete" itself and then just backup my data and do a clean install of FC13 or whatever is the most current release at that time.
Until FC13... ur a funny guy. sorry I just had to :P

What about all your "extras" you got installed that wont be updated/fixed with new patches for that very very old distro :P
and all the new functions that you just cant live without :P

anyways...
my system aint that heavily customized.
I only got a few applications [in/on](?) it and its only one thats very important. I think i may ask if that system is "ready" for FC6 or not so i'll know :)
The others can wait until they are fixed for the new kernel/distro.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:29 am

well in the past when i've wiped the drive and reinstalled the system (usually because i want to change the partitioning setup) the things i have forgotten to sort out only take me an evening or so of normal use to discover what they were and sort them out (get new rpms, update apt files etc). Thankfully there's none of this "i can't find the CD cover with the serial number for my CD writing software" or "where are my video card drivers i only have 16 colours" business that some people have to go through.

so roll on FC13, i am sure i can handle it, but by then i will have had at least a year or two of further use of FC4 without any of that hassle of reinstalling every fortnight! :-D

insomnia
programmer
programmer

"Final" is out (Zod)

Post by insomnia » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:39 am

Fedora Core 6 Final is just released :)

Only the torrents are working at this time (even the home site is down).
http://torrent.fedoraproject.org/

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:46 am

I was just going to post this. Guess I'm too late. :) Actually my trusty download site is working fine (wget from mirrors.kernel.org) and I have about 100MB down so far.

Almost half way. Getting good transfer rate too. kernel.org is awesome:

EDIT: Finished downloading the DVD ISO and verified the sha1sum in a little under 3 hours. Not bad for release day!

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:43 pm

Posting from FC6 on my laptop...

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:13 pm

I'm out of DVDr's... so I hope to install it tonight.
Did you try Compiz yet?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:32 pm

Compiz? I don't even know what that is. :) I'm having to revert back to the latest FC5 kernel to get VMware working. I'm sure there will be a vmware fix for this soon enough though. Maybe it's time to give Xen another stab.

insomnia
programmer
programmer

Post by insomnia » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:49 pm

Void Main wrote:Compiz? I don't even know what that is. :)
Since I only use a desktop for web browsing and alike, I do like bloat like Compiz/AIXGL.
I still don't understand if FC6(using Xorg 7.1) uses AIXGL in default(is it an addon or does it replace everything)...?
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/024oct06 ... dmsept_007

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:24 pm

Wow! It wasn't installed I guess because I did an "upgrade" install. I just installed the compiz RPM off the DVD and enabled it under System-Preferences-DesktopEffects and it's just crazy. I didn't think my laptop would have the juice to use it but it doesn't have any problem at all. Crazy stuff, almost makes me seasick. :)

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:46 am

Too bad it doesn't work as well when I dock my laptop at work. The laptop LCD is only capable of 1024x768 and compiz works great there but I run 1600x1200 mode at work when docked and using the external monitor and it doesn't work so hot there. I'm guessing there isn't enough video memory to run all the glitz in that resolution.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:57 pm

Ok, turns out the VMware issue was partly my fault and partly a Fedora bug. Something I should have figured out right away for sure. Basically you just have to make sure that you have the kernel-headers package installed and the proper kernel-devel package. There is a kernel-devel*i386* package and a kernel-devel*i686* package and for some reason Fedora will install the i386 version even if you are running the i686 kernel. That and the latest update of VMware + the latest any-any patch should get you going nicely.

P.S. I *really* like this compiz stuff! Here's a review of FC6:
http://lunapark6.com/?p=2454

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:40 am

is the "compiz" stuff the rotating desktops? It is nice to see that they implemented this feature. I have always admired this functionality in MAC OS X.

Is this distro ready to be run as a stable work environment? Keep in mind that I really do not want to spend a lot of time tweaking it to be stable. My boss would be none too happy if I had to spend three work days just setting up my pc.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:57 am

Well, I'm sitting at work on FC6 right now entering this. I can't say how long it might take you to get it up and running the way you want (if that is even possible) but I didn't spend any time at work installing it, I did it at home. But then I use a laptop at work that I take home at night. I didn't find it more or less difficult to set up than any of the others but I have never really considered any of them difficult. Also, I didn't do a fresh install, I upgraded from FC5 to FC6 so it wasn't more than sticking the DVD in the drive and clicking "Upgrade" for me. You'll have to do the usual things when you do an upgrade, if you do an upgrade, like compile install any 3rd party kernel modules (VMware, nVidia, etc). If you don't use any third party apps/modules then I would have to say you probably won't have any trouble at all. YMMV.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:59 am

Also, I should have copy/pasted a few of the compiz control keys in my last message with the review link. This message is more or less for my personal reference:

ctrl + alt + down = unfold
ctrl + alt + right/left = next/back cube face
ctrl + alt + + shift+ right/left = next/back cube face, with current window
ctrl + alt + Button1 (usually left click) = rotate cube
ctrl + alt + d = show desktop
alt + tab = switch window
pause = Scale / Previously exposé
super + mouse scroll = zoom
alt + scroll = transparency
Last edited by Void Main on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZiaTioN
administrator
administrator

Post by ZiaTioN » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:06 am

Void Main wrote:Well, I'm sitting at work on FC6 right now entering this. I can't say how long it might take you to get it up and running the way you want (if that is even possible) but I didn't spend any time at work installing it, I did it at home. But then I use a laptop at work that I take home at night. I didn't find it more or less difficult to set up than any of the others but I have never really considered any of them difficult. Also, I didn't do a fresh install, I upgraded from FC5 to FC6 so it wasn't more than sticking the DVD in the drive and clicking "Upgrade" for me. You'll have to do the usual things when you do an upgrade, if you do an upgrade, like compile install any 3rd party kernel modules (VMware, nVidia, etc). If you don't use any third party apps/modules then I would have to say you probably won't have any trouble at all. YMMV.
Cool, yeah I am not talking about standard install/upgrade stuff. I am more talking about corner case issues. Quirks with unstable software and such.