Fedora Core 6

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:50 pm

Master of Reality wrote:
Void Main wrote:Also, I should have copy/pasted a few of the compiz control keys in my last message with the review link. This message is more or less for my personal reference:

ctrl + alt + down = unfold
ctrl + alt + right/left = next/back cube face
ctrl + alt + + shift+ right/left = next/back cube face, with current window
ctrl + alt + Button1 (usually left click) = rotate cube
ctrl + alt + d = show desktop
alt + tab = switch window
pause = Scale / Previously exposé
super + mouse scroll = zoom
alt + scroll = transparency
what is this "super" key thing.
It's the button between the CTRL and ALT if you happen to have a keyboard that has that button.

If you don't have that button you'll have to assign the fuctions to another key. This can be done in the gconf-editor under /apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options. Actually, for the zoom you would assign the keys in /apps/compiz/plugins/zoom/allscreens/options.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:51 am

how ironic, the super key is the one with the winblows logo on, must be the only thing that's super about winblows :D

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:06 am

You can always paint a Superman logo over it.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:08 am

I don't know why...but I always chuckle when I see the term "super key".

It may have something to do with the flash of South parks Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride that flashes through my head...Probably is.

THOOPER!!!!!!

cymon
n00b
n00b

Post by cymon » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:20 pm

Well, I'm burning the FC6 DVD to set up a dual boot system. I'd rather use Debian, but 2.6.17 doesn't like the IDE/SATA controller on my motherboard, because it's very new.

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Compiz question

Post by byrdman » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:41 am

I finally got my nvidia, I think, working with my dual monitors after getting the nvidia drivers to work. My question for you all is, Is anyone having the trouble of the title bars disappearing when you enable the desktop effects? If I go to System>Preferences>Desktop effects and click on enable the desktop effects and both the cube and wobble is checked, then my title bars on the windows disappear. So it is almost like I can not do the efffects if it is enable. I can do the cube desktop but can't reposition the windows if I chose this option. Am I making my self clear? Just curious if anyone had this problem...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Compiz question

Post by Void Main » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:12 am

byrdman wrote:I finally got my nvidia, I think, working with my dual monitors after getting the nvidia drivers to work. My question for you all is, Is anyone having the trouble of the title bars disappearing when you enable the desktop effects? If I go to System>Preferences>Desktop effects and click on enable the desktop effects and both the cube and wobble is checked, then my title bars on the windows disappear. So it is almost like I can not do the efffects if it is enable. I can do the cube desktop but can't reposition the windows if I chose this option. Am I making my self clear? Just curious if anyone had this problem...
Yes, I know *exactly* what you are talking about. It was a bit of a job getting this to work on my nVidia card too. It's funny that it worked perfectly right out of the box with my laptop containing an ATI Radeon mobility card. You should be able to get it to work with your nVidia though and it is pretty slick. There were a few options I had to add to my xorg.conf and I think there might have been something else but I don't recall. I normally do not use this desktop but if I think about it when I get home I'll try and pin down the exact things I had to do to get it to work. There are some instructions spread about on the nVidia forums and other places but nothing that I could point to as a definitive set of instructions. Hopefully someone else can point to such a HOWTO that I couldn't find at the time.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:42 pm

byrdman wrote:I finally got my nvidia, I think, working with my dual monitors after getting the nvidia drivers to work. My question for you all is, Is anyone having the trouble of the title bars disappearing when you enable the desktop effects?
Ok, it's not too bad after all. The key is you have to use the beta nVidia driver. Here is what I would suggest you do:

1) Update your system with all the latest updates (via apt/yum etc)

2) Update your kernel to the latest and make sure you have the matching kernel-devel and kernel-headers packages installed

3) Download and install the latest beta version of the nVidia driver (currently NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9629-pkg1.run).

4) Add these settings to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf in the "Screen" section:

Code: Select all

Option         "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"
    Option         "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
    Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Make sure you have an "Extensions" section that looks like this:

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection
If you don't then just add it to the end of the config. Also make sure you have a "DRI" section:

Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection
Since you are running dual head you will probably have to add the options I listed for the "Screen" section to both of your "Screen" sections .

5) Start X and open a terminal and type "glxgears" and make sure you have a nice frame rate from the nVidia GLX. Then type "desktop-effects" and enable the effects with the button. If you have problems see if there are any errors reported in the terminal. This should get you going.

I also found a couple of semi-related links for compiz FC6 and dual heads:
http://lunapark6.com/?p=2454
http://lunapark6.com/?p=2643#comment-17156

Check out the comments on those links. Let me know if this gets you going.

Also, be aware that your desktop will now be running in 3D mode which means it will need a LOT more video memory than running in 2D mode. For instance in normal 2D mode I can run my laptop with an external monitor at work at 1600x1200 mode but with compiz enabled in 3D mode I can only run it at 1024x768 with 128MB. I run 3D/compiz at 1280x1024 on my 256MB nVidia card with no problem (single monitor).

How much memory do you have? Maybe you can get a little higher resolution especially if you drop the color depth. I'm not sure what the "depth x X x Y" calculations are for 3D to figure out what your max resolutions would be. 2D is easy to calculate. If you try and run a higher resolution than you have memory for when you enable compiz it will clip your desktop. Here is my single head xorg.conf if you wanted to use it for reference:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/files/con ... onf.compiz

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:02 am

does anybody know who called it the super key in the first place and why?

sorry, i suppose that's kind of off topic.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:56 am

Probably the same person that named the Hyper and Meta keys.

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:20 am

Looks like those names were invented at SAIL, the Stanford Artificial Intelligence Lab:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/B/bucky-bits.html

If your keyboard has SEVEN shift keys, you gotta come up with some kind of names for them all...
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/ ... board.html

More about SAIL:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/SAIL.html

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:05 am

Thanks Void!! Your instructions for getting the menu bar back was perfect. Although I did have to remove the Section "DRI" from mine and then it worked. I am running twinview so it my desktop spreads accross both monitors. It looks pretty cool when you "CTRL" + "ALT" + "right arrow" and both monitors rotate. Thanks again for all your help

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:17 am

Great news byrdman! Hey, tell your partner in crime I didn't mean to leave him hanging with the mods he wanted me to do but I lost my power in this ice storm and it just came back on yesterday.

byrdman
administrator
administrator

Post by byrdman » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:05 pm

I will tell him. Also, you need to stop by. Our new datacenter is fully operational. Complete with raised floor, dual UPS's, dual Liebert cooling units, and dual fiber runs into our building. We are actually supposed to be getting a burstable DS3 - redundant links, along with business cable modem as a third pipe to the internet. Might sound small to some of the major corporations, but Void, just imagine where we were years ago...!! It is pretty exciting for me,partner in crime, and my bro. Also, I am getting ready to run our main webserver on FC6 and would like to change our mail/DNS servers to FC6 also cause I think they are still on RH7.2. Might ask for help on those, if you would be willing - for a fee of course.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:25 pm

You don't have to tell your partner in crime, I called him on the phone on the way home from work tonight while sitting in traffic. That reminds me, I need to get into one of your machines and make a couple of changes before I hit the hay. Just let me know if/when you might need some help with the FC6 upgrades.

I heard about the datacenter upgrades. Sounds like you guys are getting all hollywood over there! We have two full OC3s out to the Internet that serves our web sites and for our in/out surfing traffic. All that flash on your web site is pretty even if flash is against my religion. :)

I was playing around with the web cams at one of your sites the other day and there is a one image with a bunch of pigeons flying around. It was pretty cool zooming in on them and seeing them in mid-flight.