gnome issues FC5

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
worker201
guru
guru

gnome issues FC5

Post by worker201 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:10 pm

1. When choosing >>System>>Preferences>>Themes from the Gnome menu, I get this error message:
Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon'.
Without the GNOME settings manager running, some preferences may not take effect. This could indicate a problem with Bonobo, or a non-GNOME (e.g. KDE) settings manager may already be active and conflicting with the GNOME settings manager.
This does not seem to affect my ability to modify themes, though.

2. How do you change your main icons without changing your program icons? I found a nice looking set at the Gnome art page, and the folder and drive icons look nice. However, the icons for gedit, firefox, and ggv look ridiculous. Is it possible to maintain some icons from the set but not all? Where are these replacement icons stored anyway? I expected them to be in /usr/share/icons, in a folder with the icon set name, but I couldn't find them.

Otherwise, FC5 is not too different than 4. I decided my colors were too gray and drab, so I'm on a redesign kick today.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:24 pm

You might get some ideas on what you are up against from this thread:
http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums/vi ... php?t=1820

I don't believe I've ever seen the error you are getting (I don't get the error).

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:13 pm

The icon thing is mostly settled. The new icon set I installed is located in ~/.icons/setname. If I want to replace the firefox icon, I just have to copy firefox.svg from a set I like into my new set. Works for the svg icons, anyway. I'm debating about what to do when there isn't a replacement svg icon available. Delete the original and let the icon set figure it out?

Sadly, the svg icons for Thunderbird and Firefox I found are mostly garbage. It looks like I am going to have to make my own...

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:11 am

I know in Ubuntu it's done like this:

Ubuntu Forums

It shows exactly what to do. For Dapper users. It has a link for Breezy and hoary users.

Just curious...is it wrong to replace existing Icons with the "ones you like in the folder with the same name?

IE...You notice Gnome has assigned these crappy generic globe and brown envelope for firebird and thunderbird. So you find the firebird and thunderbird Icons and replace the Gnome ones using the same name...

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:08 am

JoeDude wrote:Just curious...is it wrong to replace existing Icons with the "ones you like in the folder with the same name?

IE...You notice Gnome has assigned these crappy generic globe and brown envelope for firebird and thunderbird. So you find the firebird and thunderbird Icons and replace the Gnome ones using the same name...
That's what I did for gedit and a couple others I couldn't stand. But for ghostview/ggv, Thunderbird, and Firefox, it was hard finding svg icons I liked. Yeah, it's an svg icon theme, so I'm thinking that dropping a Firefox png in there won't do the trick. Well, I'm going to try to make those icons myself. If all goes well, I will post them here for anyone else who wants cool svg icons.