Wish me luck! Online update from FC4 to FC5

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:34 am

JoeDude wrote:Well, my experience with FC5 has been less than grand. I didn't mind the installation hastles, but useability (probably because of the system it's on) is worthless. I installed it, turned of SELinux, and it's still very slow and sluggish. When I try to set up Samba, it took me forever and was not layed out in an easily to follow manner, but I did get it. If I try add/remove programs function, as well as that updater, they just go into limbo, ie...they start and the gui comes up. then disappears. It is still running in the background as system monitor shows me, but I can't use any admin finction after that, because they are tyoing it up. Or, even worse, when everything seems to go right, but it stalls on updating dependencies or downloading packages...annoying. I think I'll try Debian on this next.
Hmmm, I don't use the Add/Remove programs thing. I have always used apt (thanks Debian). I also don't use Samba (no need since I don't use any Windows garbage). I liked FC5 but I think FC6 kicks it's butt. Having said that there is certainly nothing wrong with switching to Debian. If Fedora ever does anything as dumb as SUSE just did I would be 100% Debian instead of just a fraction. I have been threatening to move 100% to Debian for a long time now and it really is a better fit for my "philosophy". Fedora is probably right behind it as far as "Free" goes though. That was again apparent when I did the upgrade and still no sign of MP3 or DVD playing capabilities. This is only available via software found in places other than the "Official Fedora" repositories.

I also don't mean for it to sound like FC6 was/is issue free. It's not. After having evolution-exchange working perfectly out of the box (base FC6 with no updates) evolution-exchange updates are badly broken. I have to exclude evolution from being updated in the apt.conf and yum.conf. I also had a difficult time getting WPA working with ndiswrapper for the Broadcom wireless on the new laptop I picked up on Sunday. I think the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions has a typo in that it will never call the ifup-wireless script. It calls the ifup-eth script even if you have your card configuration type set to the "Wireless". I modified that and still couldn't get it to work the way it is "supposed" to work. That is using the wpa_client service.

I had to actually disable the service and call wpa_client and dhclient at the end of the ifup-wireless script to get it to work. The wpa_client service actually did seem to be working in that it would bring up wpa_client, associate with the access point but when the "ifup wlan0" was called dhclient would not get an address and just time out. The only way I could get it to work is by forcing wpa_client to reassociate while dhclient tried to get an address. I don't know if it's a timing issue or maybe even a wpa_client.conf setting that is causing the problem but I worked on it a long time before coming up with a solution that would actually work with "ifup/ifdown".

I guess those were the major issues I had, compiz is hit and miss depending on what video hardware you have. Other than that I would say FC6 has been pretty solid and has a lot of new touches that I really like.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:29 pm

I can't get FC6 to install on this machine...I've tried.

30 GB Hdd
128 MB Ram
433MHz Celeron
Built in Rage Pro Turbo video
Cmedia (can't remember what I put in) sound card
generic CD-ROM
Generic DVD player

yeah, quite old...but it has been fun so far to tinker around with it. It ran Suse 9.1 great, it ran FC4 great (both as desktops and back in it's server days), FC5 has been crap so far, Ubuntu was slow but workable, DSL was great. It originally cam with win98 on it. I still use the Printer (HPDJ697C) and Scanner (Can't remember what it is) monitor (HP M50), Keyboard (HP SK-2505B) and standard 2 button mouse that came with it, they are great!

Anyway, I have to use Samba as my wife refuses to let go of Win XP, so I'm stuck there...either that or I just don't share! ;-0

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:59 pm

Yeah, those specs are more suited for an FC4 and before distro. Debian should run great on it though but I would probably opt for something other than GNOME or KDE with only 128MB of RAM. Why don't you pry open that wallet and pick up about 512MB of used RAM out there? I think I paid 12 bucks for 512MB (maybe 384, don't remember) from an individual through Amazon. That should help out a lot.

EDIT: Here's 128MB of PC133 for $5.99:
http://www.amazon.com/Generic-128-MB-PC ... B000068IKT

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:00 am

At 128MB it's maxed out...by specs anyway. I have never tried any of the other chips in it. It's from back in the day when it was just SDIMM or SDRAM. I may try it if I can find a chip that fits, I have loads around the house...if it works, what's to loose. It's an old HP Pavilion 6465, with a few of my mods hardware style anyway...like I removed the Rockwell modem/fax/soundcard/speakerphone and replaced it with that CMedia whatever it is and put in an ethercard. Yeah, I know, not exactly Extreme Overclocker, but I try to keep it as simple as possible, keeps me from having to work out massive problems that way.

Oh, look what I found:
http://www.edgetechcorp.com/memory/upgr ... ?cid=20621

Anyway, here's the HP manufacturers specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 499&dlc=en

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:24 am

I think the PC133 RAM should also work in your machine. I know you can use PC133 in a machine built for PC100. I think the slots are the same and as long as you don't put slower RAM in than what your machine is built for you can use it. However, if I were in your situation I don't think I would upgrade it. To me it would make more sense to spend just a little more and get a new machine. You used to be able to get a base machine for under $200 and I think you still can. That machine would have more memory, a faster processor and a bigger hard drive than what you already have and it will accept a lot more memory should you run into a good deal.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:37 am

I agree. I just made a deal with one of my wifes co workers. She just bought a lap top and never uses her desktop anymore. The desktop is relatively new, I don't have the specs for it yet though. I fixed it once (the laptop) and she asked if it would be ok if she gave me her desktop and I would agree to fix her laptop for her in the future. I told her conditionally yes. In other words, I'm not going to spend all my free time working on her laptop, but for serious problems that could cost her a lot, I would do it. The last time I worked on it, it was a quick fix involving the restoring an old backup of her system (that she didn't even know she had). It's at my house again now. She lost her password and can't log in. Anyone know a good passwrod recoverer for winxp ;) anyway, when I get that desktop, I'll prbably use it to replace this one, then see if I can get £50 for my old one at one of those computer recycle places....actually £20 would be nice. I am at the point now where I'm getting tired of all the cards, towers, motherboards, RAM wiring and power sources laying around....

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:01 pm

JoeDude wrote:Anyone know a good passwrod recoverer for winxp ;)
This has worked for me many times:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

I believe it comes on the KNOPPIX CDs if you have one of those lying around, otherwise I think they have a boot floppy image on that site (It's linux based).

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:14 pm

kewl thanx. Gonna try some of those old mem sticks lying around...now if I only had a tester other than plugging them into my MB to see if their good...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:56 pm

JoeDude wrote:now if I only had a tester other than plugging them into my MB to see if their good...
Plugging them into a motherboard is is a good way of testing them. In fact it's the only way that I know of short of some possible test equipment at the end of the assembly line at the manufacturer. Just plug it in and boot up memtest86+ (part of most Linux distros and shows up on your grub menu when installed). You are not going to fry anything if that is what you are worried about. You're computer will beep at you if it can't take the memory (or won't show up in the memory count).

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:50 am

My favorite computer shop used to have a little plug in tester for it, it was great...I was buddies with one of the techs there and he would always test all my stuff free...I can't find anyone that freindly here...

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:20 pm

Interesting. What sort of checks did it do on the chips and how long would it take? memtest86+ can take a LONG time to run depending on how extensive the tests are that you select to run.

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Post by JoeDude » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:41 pm

It was a big black box that had all sorts of slots, buttons and a decent sized read out. The simplest test was a volt check, it took a few seconds. But there was one test he could run, which seemed to depend on the chip, how long it would take. Usually about 10 minutes for the full test. It would tell you size, type, frequency and note any problems by number codes. It also had the best readout of them all, it simply said at the bottom good or bad. I believe it was made by TWC or something like that.