[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - unable to install FC6

unable to install FC6

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat

unable to install FC6

Postby dishawjp » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:17 pm

Hi All,

Looks like most of you are already enjoying FC6, but there's no joy here. I downloaded the ISO's and went to do a "standard" clean install and had no luck.

I've been dual booting this same computer (two hard drives, hdc and hdd) since I was running RH8/RH9 on it. Since then I've always installed newer versions over the older versions. Up until yesterday, it was running FC4/FC5.

I had FC4 installed on hdd and went to install FC6 over it. I told it to install grub in the hdc mbr. The install seemed to go perfectly until it was time for the firstboot. When it booted, I got the old FC5 grub screen and the options were only for FC4 and FC5.

I didn't think too much of that problem and just mounted the other hard drive with the
"# mount /dev/mapper/VolGroup01-LogVol00 /mnt" command, expecting that grub had choked a bit and that I could go to /etc/grub.conf, copy the entries to my grub.conf on hdc and all would be well. But the grub.conf was just a broken symlink. I then went to /mnt/boot and it was empty! No kernel... no grub... frigging nothing! :cry:

Even though all my media passed the media check and I got no errors on the install, I figured that something had barfed somewhere, so I reinstalled and this time told grub to install on hdd. The install completed with exactly the same problems. Because I'm stupid, I tried again for good measure again asking the installer to put grub on the hdc mbr. Same result.

Like I said earlier, I've been doing the same type of install for years and have never had a problem like this. All the other directories and files seem to be there, just an empty /boot with no kernel and no grub. Also I was able to see the installer saying that it was installing the kernel and installing grub. But it lies :-)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advence,

Jim
dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:42 pm

That's very interesting. The only thing that looks out of the ordinary to me is that your only hard drives are on the secondary IDE controller instead of the primary which shouldn't be an issue, unless there is some sort of new bug where it becomes an issue. Have you searched bugzilla?
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dishawjp » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:10 pm

dishawjp
administrator
administrator

Postby JoeDude » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:35 am

I can't even get that far :(

Just for giggles, the one I just upgraded to FC5, I decided why not go for FC6? I'm not using it as a server anymore so it just sits there as a trial and error, monkey around with system. I was doing the online upgrade, which was going smoothly, when I got a no more mirrors to try warning...no problem, wait a bit, try again...same error. I slept on it, tried again...same error. Ok the, ISO time. Downloaded the ISO, went to burn it...baker went through the motons, but didn't burn it. Tried again, same again...reboot...why not? Same again...welllllllllllllllll, now what do I do, I know the dvd burner works right, I just made my FC5 dvd and it works fine...only the FC6-i386.iso is doing it...the Zod...is that commander zod? Anyway, I'm at work now and just trying to figure out what's happening...
JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:53 am

I have burned both the DVD and the CDs for FC6 and installed from both. Did you verify the images were good with an sha1sum?
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JoeDude » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:20 am

yeah, sha1sum was perfect. The dvd's checked out as well...

it's really weird. Normally (in Ubuntu) all I do is right click on the iso and then click burn to disc, and it's done...it worked on the ubuntu, FC4, FC5 and DSL disks...I have no idea why it's not working on the FC6 dvd.
JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:44 am

That is weird because that's exactly how I burned mine.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JoeDude » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:50 pm

JoeDude
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:02 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JoeDude » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:23 pm