dual monitors

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

dual monitors

Post by cdhgold » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:30 pm

Has anyone had dual monitors working under fedora or any other linux distro? and if so is there a way to see the output of both monitors from one remote connection to that box?

CHris

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:42 pm

This is pretty common actually, though there can be some issues that you wouldn't have with running on a single head. For instance, I don't believe compiz supports dual head (could be wrong on that). Regarding remote access it depends on what kind of remote access you are talking about and how you have things configured. If you are fire up a vncserver on a different display (:1) then you don't have to worry about it anyway because you would be running a completely separate instance of the X server with a specified resolution.

If you are using the vino server to remote control a logged on user's desktop then it should display the full desktop in whatever resolution you have configured (e.g. 2048x768) again depending on how you have the X server configured.

You can configure it to be one large desktop that spans both monitors (the common way like I mentioned above) or you can set it up to be two separate desktops and even run two different window managers on each and in this case I am not sure how the remote would be handled. If I recall you actually run two separate instances of X, :0 on one head and :1 on the other head (or maybe it was :0.1 and :0.2, don't recall) in which case you would have to connect to each with two instances of the VNC client.

To configure dual head go to the System->Administration->Display menu option (or run system-config-display from the shell) to bring up your video card/monitor configuration. You should find a "Dual Head" tab to enable.

It's been a long time since I have run dual head in this configuration though so I am only speculating and you should take my comment with a grain of salt. I keep thinking I want to buy a couple of new LCD displays to run on my main desktop but I rarely use it (I'm on the laptop 99.9% of the time).

kovax
scripter
scripter

Post by kovax » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:24 am

I have it running on RH EL4. It was pretty easy to configure. There is a button under the display properties to check when you have Dual Monitors.

The only issue that I had was making sure that my resolution was set properly. I had to make some modifications to the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Other than that it was pretty painless.

Good luck.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:22 am

He doesn't have a problem running dual head. He wants to be able to remote control those dual heads via VNC.

kovax
scripter
scripter

Post by kovax » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:12 am

sorry. i was trying to help but I didnt thoughly read his post.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:19 am

kovax wrote:sorry. i was trying to help but I didnt thoughly read his post.
Actually you were right and I was wrong. He had started another similar thread yesterday and I thought this was the thread without looking at the dates. In the newer thread he already had both heads working but wanted to know about VNC capabilities. I am the one who is sorry. :) This is the other thread I am referring to:

http://voidmain.is-a-geek.net/forums/vi ... php?t=1982

kovax
scripter
scripter

Post by kovax » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:12 pm

No problem. As long as he was able to get what he needed to get done.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:10 pm

UPDATE: actually i never did get it doing what i wanted shortly after doing this we stopped doing on -call in my dept at work so i no longer had need of it .. might revisit it at some time if anyone has any ideas let me know ..although my config has gotten more complex since this message ..current config i would want to have full remote access of

target system: fedora 8 @ work with 3 video cards and 4 screens one card is a dual head

each screen runs as its own X session .. total of 50 virtual desktops in use .. would love to be able to have full remote control of all 4 x sessions each in its own window on my fedora9 system at home that runs dual monitors