EphPod

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
kovax
scripter
scripter

EphPod

Post by kovax » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:19 am

I have downloaded Ephpod and have it installed via CrossOver Office/ Wine. This software is for use of the iPod under Linux. I am running red hat 9. (2.4.20-8)
When i go to confugure it is ask me for the path/ drive letter for my iPod.
My question is how do I assign a drive letter for Linux?

Thanks

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:40 am

Linux doesn't use drive letters. I think what you really mean to ask is how do you assign a drive letter in wine. Drive letters in wine are configured in the wine configuration file:

http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man5/wine.conf.5.html

If you have CrossOver office then you should have support (since you paid for it). That would probably be the best place to get advice for wine/windows programs.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:24 am

just as an aside, why is a program which is an interface between Linux and an iPod running under wine/crossover? if it's for linux, it'd be more sensible to have native binaries, no?

also, again just offtopic, and out of my own curiosity, why red hat 9 when there are many newer versions (of fedora or other more modern systems)?

just curious...

worker201
guru
guru

Post by worker201 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:45 pm

Although the title of the ephpod homepage claims it is "for Windows (and Linux)", Linux isn't mentioned anywhere on the site at all. Additionally, the program is kinda unstable and doesn't completely support the 5thGen iPods. Sorry, but this is not a program I would install. gtkpod is free and runs natively in Linux. My take on the whole wine/crossover deal is that you should save it for Windows programs that you absolutely must have, and absolutely cannot accept any substitutes for.

As for using RH9, some companies stuck with it - they didn't want to deal with RHEL or Fedora. Considering how stable Fedora has proven to be, it may seem kinda silly now, but some people like to stick to what they know.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:32 am

I like using amarok with my ipod... only beause i can randomly populate my ipod with it.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:39 pm

MoR, have you ever used gtkpod?
And if yes, what does Amarok do better?