mp3 player w/ playlist

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

mp3 player w/ playlist

Post by cdhgold » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:57 pm

can someone suggest a good mp3 player for fedora core 6 that includes a decent playlsit function . i have switched from windoze where i used real player ... tried xmms and got messaage saying that mnp3 support had been rrremoved from fedora .. if Xmms is still teh best one to use how do i fix it? and real player for linux does not support playlist

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:08 pm

xmms is an excellent mp3 player. You just have to install the xmms-mp3 package which isn't included in the base Fedora distribution because of patents/royalties, etc. I use the one from FreshRPMS. Just add the FreshRPMS repository to your yum or apt configuration and "apt-get install xmms-mp3" or "yum install xmms-mp3". xmms also has a nice selection of skins if you don't like the default.

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:14 pm

thanks a bunch that worked great

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:31 pm

no no no no no... use amarok. It is by far the best music player i have ever used.

and as a side note... i always liked this site for helping me setup fedora (its where i learned how to install mp3 support i think) http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc6-tips.php

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:18 pm

I started using that amarok today at work. It really is very cool. MoR is right again! I liked the way it searched my drive and put together all the playlists and albums for me for all the music it found on my drive. And it's pretty.

Calum
guru
guru

Post by Calum » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:24 am

xmms works for me, so i think i will wait till i have a good reason to "switch" before i try out amarok.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:30 am

I was using xmms but for some reason I started having problems with it just stopping in the middle of playing a song. There must be a bug in a recent update or something. So I tried a couple other ones and amarok is really a slick item.

Master of Reality
guru
guru

Post by Master of Reality » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:33 pm

I switched from xmms because it took an incredible time for my playlist to show all the id3tag information. Amarok uses a database for all that jazz, which also allows me to quickly search my collection.