system logging me out

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

system logging me out

Post by cdhgold » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:52 pm

running FC6 .. system has been running like a champ until recently now whenever i either lock session or launch Xine it logs me out .. any ideas? system is current on updates but still using 2.6.18-1.2868 kernel .. have not reloaded my nvidia drivers for 2895 kernel yet

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: system logging me out

Post by Void Main » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:50 am

cdhgold wrote:running FC6 .. system has been running like a champ until recently now whenever i either lock session or launch Xine it logs me out .. any ideas? system is current on updates but still using 2.6.18-1.2868 kernel .. have not reloaded my nvidia drivers for 2895 kernel yet
I actually had a similar problem very recently (earlier this week) when I started the mythfrontend on my desktop that has the nVidia card in it. When I started the app it would kill my X session and log me out. I couldn't find any error messages. The problem I had always run into in the past is Xorg gets updated a lot and wipes out the nVidia libraries which required me to reinstall the nVidia driver often. I solved that by adding "^xorg-x11-server"; to the "Hold" section in my apt.conf. This will prevent the Xorg server from being updated when I do an apt-get dist-upgrade.

Now, I did this a couple of weeks ago and I don't believe it was related to the mythfrontend crashing my X server. I still don't know exactly why that happened nor can I get it to do it again. Maybe it is the newer releases of Xorg that is causing some sort of conflict with the nVidia drivers. Here is the version I stopped updating at:

xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.1.1-47.2.fc6
xorg-x11-server-utils-7.1-4.fc6
xorg-x11-server-Xvfb-1.1.1-47.2.fc6
xorg-x11-server-Xnest-1.1.1-47.2.fc6
xorg-x11-server-sdk-1.1.1-47.2.fc6

You might consider reverting back to a previous version and see how that effects it.

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:31 pm

I ran into this a number of times lately and every time I got it solved by re-installing the nvidia drivers
You might wanna try that first, there's a fair chance you won't be having trouble again afterwards.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:37 pm

Ice9 wrote:I ran into this a number of times lately and every time I got it solved by re-installing the nvidia drivers
You might wanna try that first, there's a fair chance you won't be having trouble again afterwards.
Until Xorg-server gets updated again in another week. :)

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:06 pm

just a note to say that worked I reloaded my Nvidia driver under the new kernel (figured might as well) and things are back to rocking along again thanks to everyone for help on this and other issues I have had. The support on this forum is one of the primary reason I have kept my interest in linux and gotten so far with it thanks again to the community and all hail void for this forum and your contribution to the community.

Chris

Ice9
guru
guru

Post by Ice9 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:18 pm

Void Main wrote:
Until Xorg-server gets updated again in another week. :)
Actually I pinned down the xorg packages to avoid this.
Once in a month or so I perform a full upgrade and re-install the nvidia drivers if I have to.
But I have to say that things move a lot slower in "testing" than they did in unstable" ...