[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Void's Forums • View topic - Installing Zip Drive in RH8

Installing Zip Drive in RH8

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat

Installing Zip Drive in RH8

Postby Buzza24 » Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:05 am

Hello,

I would like to install a Iomega Zip Drive 100mb Parrallel.

How do i do it?
and please don't send me to a link, because i have seen a couple and they are hard for me to understand.

thanks
Buzza24
scripter
scripter

Postby Calum » Fri Mar 14, 2003 7:04 am

'please don't send me to a link'? that narrows it down a bit, doesn't it?

what if all *your* links have been oops because you suck at searching, but all our links kick ass and are easy because we spend our lives on the net looking for geeky tutorials? hmm? THEN would you go to one of our links, hMm? would you? hmm? would you?
Calum
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Fri Mar 14, 2003 10:12 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Buzza24 » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:02 pm

Buzza24
scripter
scripter

Postby Void Main » Tue Mar 18, 2003 2:25 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Calum » Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:26 pm

Calum
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:54 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Doogee » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:27 pm

isnt su "switch user" and yes you would have to be "su -" maybe thats what that no0b means?
Doogee
administrator
administrator

Postby Void Main » Tue Mar 18, 2003 11:06 pm

To be honest I don't really know what they mean by that sentence. There is no such thing as "SU" in Linux. There is a command "su" (lower case) which I believe originally stood for "substitute user" although many people today (including me) refer to it as "switch user". Some people believe it is short for "super user" because it allows you to become the all powerful "root" user but that just doesn't make any sense, there should be some action in a command name (switch or substitute fill that bill).

Now the line I quoted says "you must be logged into the root". That's like saying "you must be logged into the Administrator" in NT/2K/etc. WTH is that supposed to mean? Now if they said "you must be logged in as root" then it would make sense. Now the rest of the sentence "instead of the SU (shared user)" just plain baffles me.

The only thing I can figure is that they meant to say "You must log in as root rather than switching to root using the 'su' command", but that isn't even true. There is no reason for you to log in as root so I just don't get it. That's just one of several things that are just plain wrong with the page. But I digress, I'm certainly not qualified to criticize others on grammar, although this is more a technical competency issue IMHO.
Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Calum » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:46 am

Calum
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:01 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Calum » Wed Mar 19, 2003 2:56 pm

Calum
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:29 pm

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Calum » Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:53 am

well i tried to use 'auto' in fstab by copying the line from my floppy drive. i think the line looked like:

/dev/sda4 /mnt/zip auto defaults,users,exec,noauto 0 0

and basically it didn't work, for some reason. i assumed that it was something to do with the device not supporting 'auto' as a type or perhaps 'hfs' was not one of the filesystems checked for if 'auto' is specified. whatever i was just guessing, anyway, i have not tried that autofs thing, as i don't like automounters, however if i have it set to 5 seconds, maybe that will be good enough to be transparent. maybe i could put it down to 1 or 2 seconds...
Calum
guru
guru

Postby Void Main » Thu Mar 20, 2003 10:00 am

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Fedora/Red Hat