no audio in web video clips

Place to discuss Fedora and/or Red Hat
cdhgold
administrator
administrator

no audio in web video clips

Post by cdhgold » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:48 am

i'm running FC6 and can't figure out why when watching quick time or you tube or flash on the web i get no sound. my mp3s play fine as does internet radio but not the audio from online video clips. the video plays fine but no audio.

any suggestions?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:55 am

What video player are you using? mplayer? xine? vlc? I've never really had to do anything with any of those but each of those has settings/preferences for audio. If they aren't already set for ALSA they probably should be. Are you using GNOME or KDE? I don't know about KDE but there really isn't anything you should have to do in GNOME. Also, what are you using to play MP3s and how is it's audio preferences configured? ALSA?

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:37 pm

i'm using mplayer to view DVDs and such as far as the media player for flash or you tube it uses what is in the browser. I use XMMS for my mp3s and it is configured for ALSA. I'm using KDE. How can i check to see what the browser is configured ofr? using latest firefox

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:46 pm

Is it only flash that you are having a problem with? MPlayer sound works? I swear I am losing my mind because I have no idea why I asked you about mplayer and what desktop you use when you only seem to be having flash audio problems. :)

It's interesting that a coworker complained about his sound not working on his FC6 + Firefox installation just today when we he tried to watch those Novell Linux Mac PC spoof ads (http://www.novell.com/video/). What version of the flash player does it say you have when you do an "about:plugins" in the URL bar? I had no problem playing them on my FC6 + Firefox + Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31 plugin. I'll see if I can get him working tomorrow and let you know what I come up with. I am currently running Firefox version 1.5.0.10, how about you?

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:11 pm

Here is the versions my Coworker is running:

firefox: 1.5.0.11
Shockwave Flash 9.0 r31

My guess is that I haven't updated my laptop to 1.5.0.11 and if I do it will also be broken. Now I am afraid to upgrade. :) I would guess that if you are running 1.5.0.11 and revert back to 1.5.0.10 that your sound will probably start working again. Just speculation on my part.

Tux
guru
guru

Post by Tux » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:39 pm

If you open firefox from a terminal, then the flash plugin will spit stuff out on stderr which is usually useful.

Void Main
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Void Main » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:41 am

My coworker fixed his problem. Get this, he rebooted and it started working. I guess he had upgraded Firefox, Flash audio then quit working, after a reboot it started working again. Must have been some sort of conflict in a shared library that was upgraded and not reloaded. Should I assume that you've rebooted?

cdhgold
administrator
administrator

Post by cdhgold » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:02 pm

yes i have rebooted however when i did the about:plugins it showed flash 7 not 9. i have downloaded the flash 9 rpm but things at work (where the pc is) have been so hammered have not had time to install it to see if this fixes my issue. will update here with results when i do

chris